The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Gödel, Nagel, minds and machines | Lambda the Ultimate

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mark Masterson

Nickname: mastermark

Mark Masterson is a CTO with CSC
Gödel, Nagel, minds and machines | Lambda the Ultimate Posted: Oct 28, 2007 8:07 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Mark Masterson.
Original Post: Gödel, Nagel, minds and machines | Lambda the Ultimate
Feed Title: Process Perfection
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/MasterMark/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: Life, the Universe, workflow, BPM, Java, Ruby, functional/generative/meta programming, pi calculus, patterns, the Grid, agents, software architecture and the kitchen sink. :)
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Mark Masterson
Latest Posts From Process Perfection

Advertisement

Gödel, Nagel, minds and machines | Lambda the Ultimate

Good stuff at LtU. Elsewhere, Aloof says:

A fully developed model for inter-machine decisions would most likely become unbearably complex and subject to emergent behaviors

... in a post that is a continuation of the Pile O' Lamps conversation and deserves a good answer from me (which this post is not). But when I read the quote above, I was struck (not for the first time) with the following thought: what are the most successful systems we know of? Answer: biological. And biological systems work this way - think of how cells reproduce, repair themselves, implement security or communicate. I've had this conversation before, and had some modernist/classicist folk say something to me like "Well, but why would we want to model systems on biology? Biology is an accidental architecture, and much too messy. We want our system to be better." Apart from the fact that I think that such an answer is breathtakingly arrogant, I also think it's just dumb. Why would I turn my back on such a rich and useful trove of examples of things that work?

So that's why I struggle to learn as much as I can about how the brain works. It's why I've subscribed to Nature for many years. If I can make the systems I design even vaguely resemble biological systems, then my strong suspicion is that those systems are better for it.

Read: Gödel, Nagel, minds and machines | Lambda the Ultimate

Topic: "If a system is to serve the creative spirit, it must be entirely comprehensible to a single... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: iPhone: How To Recover From 1.1.1 Firmwire Upgrade in 4 Steps

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use