The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Blog web site makeover: out with the old, in with the new

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mark Masterson

Nickname: mastermark

Mark Masterson is a CTO with CSC
Blog web site makeover: out with the old, in with the new Posted: Oct 13, 2007 2:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Mark Masterson.
Original Post: Blog web site makeover: out with the old, in with the new
Feed Title: Process Perfection
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/MasterMark/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: Life, the Universe, workflow, BPM, Java, Ruby, functional/generative/meta programming, pi calculus, patterns, the Grid, agents, software architecture and the kitchen sink. :)
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Mark Masterson
Latest Posts From Process Perfection

Advertisement

So, I always liked the look and feel of this blog, which was based on a template by the legendary Bryan Bell. However, it is a fact that most people don't like light-on-dark designs. I've often gotten comments, over the years, that the site was "hard to read", etc. I resolutely ignored those comments, reasoning that people who griped were just expressing their subjective preference for dark-on-light designs.

But I got bored of the old style, and the simple fact is that dark-on-light styles are the predominant ones. All of the cool kids have some variant of it. So I decided to take a dark-on-light design for a spin. If you're reading this in a browser (and if you are, then, really, why?), then you're looking at the result. It's a port of a Wordpress theme, apparently, and I haven't done much to it -- it's pretty much out of the box from the JRoller theme selection. Since it is originally a Wordpress theme, I kinda hope it makes me look even more like the cool kids do.

In the process of adapting my content to fit the theme, I wound up breaking the site up into the four pages linked in the nav bar in the header, and I'm pleased with how it came out. I think the overall site is more usable, and a little bit easier to grok, as a result. And it is purty.

Let me know what you think.

Read: Blog web site makeover: out with the old, in with the new

Topic: Why I switched back from Rails to Assembler Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: DRM-free MP3 downloads from Amazon

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use