The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Extract Any Archive with Ruby, Slimtimer, Feedalizer

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Cheah Chu Yeow

Nickname: redemption

Cheah Chu Yeow is no one of any importance
Extract Any Archive with Ruby, Slimtimer, Feedalizer Posted: Aug 13, 2006 8:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Cheah Chu Yeow.
Original Post: Extract Any Archive with Ruby, Slimtimer, Feedalizer
Feed Title: redemption in a blog
Feed URL: http://blog.codefront.net/xml/rss20/feed.xml
Feed Description: ramblings of a misfit - web development, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, CSS, programming
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Cheah Chu Yeow
Latest Posts From redemption in a blog

Advertisement

A bunch of cool stuff I found over the weekend that didn’t individually deserve a blog post, but I thought would be worth sharing.

Extract Any Archive with Ruby

This is really neat if you could never remember what commands or command-line arguments you need to extracting archives (.zip, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 – those kinds of archives).

With this Extract Any Archive script written in Ruby, instead of

tar jxvf DonkeyPr0n.tar.bz2

you can simply do

e DonkeyPr0n.tar.bz2

Instant gratification!

Slim Timer

SlimTimer is one another of those productivity-keep-track-of-your-todo-list type applications – I like it because seeing the time ticking away gets you motivated on sticking to the task at hand. You can stick it into your Firefox sidebar and all that AJAX-y stuff makes it behave like a normal application.

SlimTimer running in a Firefox Web panel

Feedalizer – transform web pages into RSS feeds

Choon Keat pointed this out to me recently: Feedalizer (backed by Hpricot). I played around with it and it was so easy (and fun) to use. Whipped up a Mongrel news feed (code) for Mongrel news (which didn’t have an RSS feed). The hardest part was figuring out which Hpricot methods to use to parse the bits I needed.

Served by Apache 2.2, mod_proxy_balancer, and Mongrel

I got off my butt and set up Apache 2.2 with mod_proxy_balancer to load-balance a cluster of Mongrel processes, if you’re still seeing this, that means it hasn’t crashed, yet :p. Just kidding heh – I’m finding this setup pretty stable, though there was once the mongrel processes seem to have been over-loaded with requests (with 96MB RAM I can only run 2 processes, and even then I run out of memory real fast due to automated comment spam – does anyone have any solutions to blocking automated comment spammers before they even hit your website?).

In any case, I learnt quite a bit as I was setting up my deployment environment for Rails, and hopefully someone will be able to benefit from that when I finish my post on the topic.

Read: Extract Any Archive with Ruby, Slimtimer, Feedalizer

Topic: How To Embed Google Video With Specific Start Point & AutoPlay Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Unobtrusive IFrame shim - a half solution

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use