The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Ajax in a Nutshell

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Douglas Clifton

Nickname: dwclifton

Douglas Clifton is a freelance Web programmer and writer
Ajax in a Nutshell Posted: Mar 7, 2006 6:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Douglas Clifton.
Original Post: Ajax in a Nutshell
Feed Title: blogZero
Feed URL: http://loadaveragezero.com/app/s9y/index.php?/feeds/index.rss1
Feed Description: Web Development News, Culture and Opinion
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Douglas Clifton
Latest Posts From blogZero

Advertisement

ala On a tip from Krista at Digital Web Magazine, I learned that O'Reilly's seminal Web Design in a Nutshell by Jennifer Niederst was recently released in a 3rd edition. This is good news since the 2nd one was getting a little dog-eared and needed to play catch-up with the latest trends and techniques. I hope O'Reilly is planning on doing the same for Webmaster in a Nutshell.

book Acclaimed accessibility advocate Derek Featherstone and Digital Web contributing author Aaron Gustafson both invested some of their time in the Nutshell book, and today A List Apart has published an excerpt from Aaron's work titled Getting Started with Ajax. The article does a good job of introducing the Ajax concept, including the JavaScript XMLHttpRequest object, various data formats that can be returned from such calls, and how to update the DOM of the page making the request using this data. Aaron uses the simple XHConn interface library and provides sample code, both markup and JavaScript. Keep in mind that ALA is not a programmer's magazine (any more than Digital Web is), so do not expect gory details here. But it is important for designers to understand Ajax development since it is a client-side technology. Or at least the designer's half of the equation.

And this leads to my point, something I plan on asking as many designers as I can corner at SXSW—in this day of Rich Internet/Web applications and Ajax (I really hate to mention Web 2.0), do you see the line between designer and programmer blurring a bit more? If you're not able to make it to the convention, feel free to post your viewpoints here, regardless of whether your area of expertise is design or code.

Read: Ajax in a Nutshell

Topic: EFF stickers in “The IT Crowd” Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: IE7 Gets RSS Right

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use