The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Features done in meetings

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christian Machmeier

Nickname: cmachmeier

Christian Machmeier is a web designer and developer in Heidelberg, Germany.
Features done in meetings Posted: Dec 13, 2005 3:13 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Christian Machmeier.
Original Post: Features done in meetings
Feed Title: .redSPLASH - Blog
Feed URL: http://businesslogs.com/WebLog/RSS.xml
Feed Description: Share what you know, learn what you don't
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Christian Machmeier
Latest Posts From .redSPLASH - Blog

Advertisement

I don't know about the vaunted 10x productivity of Rails, but that's only because I haven't done much web-work otherwise. All I can tell you is that for Pimki I added two new features (and a bug fix)... while I was sitting in a meeting and came across the need for them!

Embedded GraphViz graphs

As I was taking notes in a lecture (using Pimki on a brand shiny new laptop), I needed to copy a diagram from the whiteboard. Laptop are not notoriously easy in that aspect, but the diagram was simple enough and I know that dot language reasonably well. So as the meeting went I just typed the graph into a page. During a short break I added a new chunk that looked for such embedded graphs, runs GraphViz and replaced the text with the image result. (Well, the short break wasn't quite enough and I did spend that evening fixing this, but the point, man, the point!).

So if you're using Pimki2 and update to the latest CVS snapshot (be warned - still alpha), you can embed a GraphViz diagram in a page with the help of <graph></graph> tags. Just read the help section.

Google Searches

In another meeting, I wanted to take a note to search google on something. What better way that to extend the existing external links with a Google search? Just embed a [g[query string]] in the page and you're laughing.

Of course, just adding more such links is not the full solution I'm after. But until I get a chance to do the full macros, it'll do quite nicely.

Not bad for a couple of meetings in which I also managed to learn a few things :-)

As for the bug-fix, in the upgrade to Pimki2 I managed to miss the ToDo text expansion - the rendering of the text after the todo as part of the page itself. That is not fixed and links to pages, glossary items and the like are displayed correctly.

The next major item on the list is still the backend format. This is also the major holdback in development - almost everything is dependent on how the information is stored. (So if you use Pimki, please fill the user survey at: http://rubyforge.org/survey/survey.php?group_id=447&survey_id=25!)

Currently there are two contenders: SQLite and KirbyBase. SQLite comes with Instiki-AR, but I think KB may have other advantages that merit consideration: Import from Instiki can still be acheived through export/import (and that may be the case anyway with Instiki-AR); It is a pure-ruby solution, so nothing extra to install; It uses plain-text to store the data; I like the ruby-blocks format of querying data. The major disadvantages is of ActiveRecord: KirbeyBase is not an SQL format and there is no AR adapter for it. This means I can't learn-by-example from Instiki and that I miss out on all the existing goodness like the #acts_as_taggble mixin. I will also lose on changes from Instiki, but since I'm not sure about how continued integration will work (expect for export/import) anyway, and that may turn out well in that it will force me to better review each change in Instiki and get a better understanding of what goes in where.

What I need is mainly time to play with both options. Not a thing I have in bounds, so I'm asking questions on ruby-talk and here. If you have any experience with these issues, please feel free to contact me directly or on the pimki-users mailing list.

Read: Features done in meetings

Topic: How To Get Free 30Gigs.Com Email Account (Without Invitation) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: opmlbrowser.com

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use