The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
SimpleViewerAdmin-1.3 released

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christian Machmeier

Nickname: cmachmeier

Christian Machmeier is a web designer and developer in Heidelberg, Germany.
SimpleViewerAdmin-1.3 released Posted: Jul 17, 2005 6:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Christian Machmeier.
Original Post: SimpleViewerAdmin-1.3 released
Feed Title: .redSPLASH - Blog
Feed URL: http://businesslogs.com/WebLog/RSS.xml
Feed Description: Share what you know, learn what you don't
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Christian Machmeier
Latest Posts From .redSPLASH - Blog

Advertisement

Intro

After publicly announcing SimpleViewerAdmin 1.3, I immediately got requests about when the new version will appear on the scene. I have to admit, that was stunning. I did not expect that.

Statistics

If you take a look at the monthly download statistics, you'll undoubtfully recognize that SimpleViewerAdmin is a huge hit - at least such it is to me. The download rates grew and grew month over month, and I never ever expected SimpleViewerAdmin to become such a success in the beginning.

Support

As I already mentioned, the forum really was of great help, since it brought in the opportunity that users share their thoughts on and their problems with the software. Doing support via email, is first of all exhausting for me and secondly it is boring to answer the same questions over and over again. So the forum is of great help - especially the feature requests constantly being posted gave me an idea of what might be useful to implement to let the application become more and more convenient. Therefore, anything I can say: Keep it up!

Changes

Downloading older versions of SimpleViewerAdmin is no longer possible. The only archive available is the current one. This will make things a lot easier, since you haven't to choose which version to run. Take the latest and greatest, and you'll be fine. Beyond that rather marginal change, I've implemented almost all user-requested features. So here you go with an excerpt of the ChangeLog:
  • [NEW]: More options to customize your gallery: The fields "welcomeText" and "extraText" have been added. The "title" for the gallery is now optional (as are "welcomeText" and "extraText").
  • [NEW]: Added the opportunity to publish/unpublish an album.
  • [NEW]: Added markup support to the image captions.
  • [NEW]: Polished the interface to make it look slicker and act more smoothly.
  • [NEW]: Added the opportunity to choose whether to display the album overview as a simple list (modified) or as a nicely marked up table sporting a random thumbnail from the respective album.
  • [FIXED]: UTF-8 support is now finally fixed/enabled/enhanced (hopefully).

Testing

Version 1.3 of SimpleViewerAdmin has been tested with different browsers (IE 6 on Win2k and WinXP, Firefox 1.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.3.9, Win2k and WinXP, and Safari 1.2 on Mac OS X 10.3.9) on four different servers, running Linux and Mac OS X, with different version of PHP (4 & 5) installed.

This should make a pretty solid ground to run SimpleViewerAdmin in different environments, and ensure that it runs in yours as well.

Upgrade

When you do a fresh install of SimpleViewerAdmin, read the documentation and follow the install instructions, and you'll be fine. When you already run a previous version of SimpleViewerAdmin (and that is quite likely), make sure you follow the upgrade instructions. This is very recommended, since all your albums will have the status "Unpublished", and will therefore not be visible in your gallery, after copying everything from the archive to your installation directory. So, follow the upgrade instructions, and you'll be fine and up and running SimpleViewerAdmin in just a minute.

What's left?

There are several features yet to be implemented, like the opportunity to choose a custom background image for each album respectively (which will hopefully come in the next version), and there are features, that will probably never see the light of the day, like batch-uploading via FTP. But please, do not hesitate to post your feature requests to the forum, so that they can be discussed and evaluted publicly.

So meanwhile I hope, you'll like the new version (Come on, grab your copy now!) as much as it was a pleasure for me to code it.

Read: SimpleViewerAdmin-1.3 released

Topic: Hacks: Punishment for others' mistakes Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Why Napster Rocks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use