The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
The secret behind getting more Gmail invites

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Aug 12, 2004 9:06 AM by Paul McClelland

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Cheah Chu Yeow

Nickname: redemption

Cheah Chu Yeow is no one of any importance
The secret behind getting more Gmail invites Posted: Jun 21, 2004 6:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Cheah Chu Yeow.
Original Post: The secret behind getting more Gmail invites
Feed Title: redemption in a blog
Feed URL: http://blog.codefront.net/xml/rss20/feed.xml
Feed Description: ramblings of a misfit - web development, Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, CSS, programming
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Cheah Chu Yeow
Latest Posts From redemption in a blog

Advertisement

OK so it'd no longer be a secret now that I've let it out into the wild. Anyway, the hypothesis goes somewhat like this: the number of Gmail invites you get (to send out) is positively correlated to your usage of Gmail. "Usage of Gmail" is hard to define, but I reckon it'd include the number of emails you send/receive, and possibly the amount of storage you use (out of the 1GB).

Why do I say so? Um, if you've been following my inane writings on this weblog, you'd probably noticed gExodus, a Python hack job that I churned out yesterday that imports emails (in mbox format) into Gmail. It does this by forwarding your existing mbox - i.e. it parses the mbox file and sends each email via SMTP to your Gmail account. This registers as received mail in your Gmail account.

In my testing of gExodus, I probably forwarded around a thousand emails. I just logged into my Gmail account and saw the red "Invite a friend to join Gmail!" link...

Screenshot of Gmail

And I had 6 invitations (I'm left with 4 now). People don't normally get 6 invites in 6 days' time. But 1000+ (received) emails in 1 day, 6 invites the next - all that's left is to connect the dots.

Read: The secret behind getting more Gmail invites

Paul McClelland

Nickname: fido99

Re: The secret behind getting more Gmail invites Posted: Aug 12, 2004 9:06 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Wow that's cool, since you've found a way to get invites do you think you could give me one. I will then use that program and do the same thing and get others to do it as well. I really want a good email address and don't really want to pay for an account on ebay. I would though for no other reason then a good email address. Thanks.

Paul McClelland
3rd year Computer Science Student

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: How to catch XML Parser Errors in PHP 5.0 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Better UI for blocked popups in Firefox

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use