The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Hard to find bugs Episode #23221

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tobias Luetke

Nickname: xal

Tobias Luetke is a contributor to the ruby on rails project
Hard to find bugs Episode #23221 Posted: Mar 18, 2005 9:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Tobias Luetke.
Original Post: Hard to find bugs Episode #23221
Feed Title: too-biased
Feed URL: http://blog.leetsoft.com/xml/rss/
Feed Description: Read the announcement: CD Baby rewrite in Postgres and Ruby, Baby!CD Baby is going rails. This is huge! If you don’t know CD Baby, its a distribution site with over 80.000 musicians under contract and its one of the biggest digital distributors of audio to Apple iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, etc.  Read all about it here. What is even more exciting about it is that I’m on board for the rewrite and I had chance to talk to Derek on the phone directly for a consulting session which might have played its little part in the decision to go with rails. Come monday I’ll work together with him and other rails contributor Jeremy Kemper to help crunch those 90k lines of PHP in beautifully compact code for which Rails and Ruby are known. Here is a quote from Derek’s announcement on his weblog: Like a lost soul walkin’ the earth, lookin’ for spirituality, that stumbles upon the right church with the right people at the right time, I’ve found my niche with Ruby. Its little itty-bitty community attracts some brilliant “think different” types with a love for beautiful code that do this for love, not money.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Tobias Luetke
Latest Posts From too-biased

Advertisement

OK since I have not talked much about snowdevil and how its faring in production I’ll tell you about one of those really hard to find bugs and how to go about fixing it. This is also meant to give a glimpse at how maintenance works in a test driven environment using ruby on rails. I’ll show you how to create the test cases which expose the bugged behavior, how to fix it and how to restore the integrity of your database using rails facilities.

Whenever an exception is thrown on snowdevil I get an email. This has been an invaluable tool so far. This email contains everything from requested URL to user data (if available) to stack traces, environment variables, params, session and all the rest of the anatomy of the request known to the system.

Yesterday I started getting very odd emails. A user was adding items to his shopping cart but he would get an exception in doing so.

Now this is a fairly well tested concept in this store ( We sold 10 snowboards just last week). So what went wrong?

Turns out that this particular user is a returning customer and on his last visit he left the store with items in his shopping cart which are since deleted. This leads to a “undefined method ‘product’ for nil” type error when the shopping cart is supposed to be displayed. Ouch!

Bugs stink so lets fix this critter.

First lets recreate the issue in a test case. The bug happens when rendering the shopping page so we will go with a functional test case first. Note that we won’t fix the error in the template, even though this sounds appealing. The error coming from ActionView is only a symptom. We will fix the cause.

def test_user_with_deleted_item_in_cart

# add item one to cart    

# delete this item
    Product.find(1).destroy

assert_raise(ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound) do
      Product.find(1)
    end

ProductUnit.find(1)
    end

# add another item to cart

# tell the cart to refresh its items collection. This is done 
    # automatically between real requests
    @request.session["cart"].items(:reload)

# render the cart overview
    get :index
    assert_success
  end

BAM! ActionView::TemplateError: undefined method `product’ for nil:NilClass. Ever been happy about getting an error? Here is your chance! This is exactly what I have been emailed about by my trusty store. So now lets fix it, ok? No we do TDD. Lets declare our intention with another unit test:

def test_deleted_unit

@board1_151cm.destroy

@cart1_item1.reload
    end

end

Wonderful. This fails as well.

Now equipped with our failing unit tests we can go and write some production code to fix the issue:

class ProductUnit < ActiveRecord::Base
    has_many :cart_items, :foreign_key => "unit_id", :dependent => true
    [...]
  end

rake tells us that all unit tests work and we fixed a bug. forever and it will never appear again or rake would tell us.

Now off to deploying the changes on the production site and fixing the database retroactively.

tobi@commerce snowdevil $ ruby script/console production
Loading environment...
irb(main):001:0> CartItem.find_all.each { |o| o.destroy if o.unit == nil }

So long and thanks for all the fish.

If you are interested to learn about TDD i recommend the book Test driven development

Read: Hard to find bugs Episode #23221

Topic: Toy: nopaste Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The net benefit of transparency

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use