The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Snowdevil launches!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tobias Luetke

Nickname: xal

Tobias Luetke is a contributor to the ruby on rails project
Snowdevil launches! Posted: Feb 1, 2005 9:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Tobias Luetke.
Original Post: Snowdevil launches!
Feed Title: too-biased
Feed URL: http://blog.leetsoft.com/xml/rss/
Feed Description: Read the announcement: CD Baby rewrite in Postgres and Ruby, Baby!CD Baby is going rails. This is huge! If you don’t know CD Baby, its a distribution site with over 80.000 musicians under contract and its one of the biggest digital distributors of audio to Apple iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, etc.  Read all about it here. What is even more exciting about it is that I’m on board for the rewrite and I had chance to talk to Derek on the phone directly for a consulting session which might have played its little part in the decision to go with rails. Come monday I’ll work together with him and other rails contributor Jeremy Kemper to help crunch those 90k lines of PHP in beautifully compact code for which Rails and Ruby are known. Here is a quote from Derek’s announcement on his weblog: Like a lost soul walkin’ the earth, lookin’ for spirituality, that stumbles upon the right church with the right people at the right time, I’ve found my niche with Ruby. Its little itty-bitty community attracts some brilliant “think different” types with a love for beautiful code that do this for love, not money.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Tobias Luetke
Latest Posts From too-biased

Advertisement

logo_small.jpg At long last, it’s done. Snowdevil launched on 31.1.2005 after close to 4 months of the most intense but also fulfilling programming of my life.

I have learned a lot of things during all stages of getting snowdevil on the web and I would do a great many things differently if I were to start over again. I’m sure I’ll have lots of opportunities to share these new “insights” here on this blog but here are the highlights.

• Use Ruby on Rails if you do web development. If you don’t use it, start today. Newton said ”If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”. I consider the unveiling of Rails as one of the biggest jumps in productivity the computer industry has seen since it moved from assembler to high level languages. This is the time where small businesses can compete or outperform big businesses just because of better tools. You need to be as efficient as a team? No problem! By the end of the year most companies worth a damn will use Rails or a clone of it. Be ahead of the curve.
  • Embrace Test driven development. Test cases are what make modern programming possible. Not only do they function as your personal QA department, they also save you a lot of time you would spend hunting for bugs; That means they subtract from the most tedious annoying and frustrating time part of software development, the bug hunt. If you are not writing tests yet I recommend this book.
  • Embrace as many XP mantras as you can. Then apply them to everything you do, not only to programming. If I would have done this from the get go I would have saved us a lot of time. The biggest delay came from waiting too long to apply for the credit card processing. If i would have followed the ”Most important feature first” practice I would have put the application in the day I started to code. Other then that, telling myself ”Do the simplest thing possible” really helped me find the best code quicker than usual with less trying around. XP Is a major asset, If you want to learn more about it here is another book recommendation.

With that out of the way, I can’t even put into words how thrilled I am that the first milestone is done and the ground work is laid out and clearly seen by everyone who bothers to navigate to us. Its going to be a lot of fun to figure out all the aspects of running a virtual retail store and I’m thrilled that I’m doing it together with my business partner Scott Lake who is doing all the heavy lifting in the real world while pushing me to do an equally good job with the technical aspects of the venture. We have very ambitious plans for the snowdevil codebase and great technical challenges are yet to come. I can’t wait!

P.S: Since this is a technical blog and these numbers make me look good, here are the stats as per sloccount:

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 6,086
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 1.33 (15.99)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months)                         = 0.60 (7.17)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule)  = 2.23
Total Estimated Cost to Develop                           = $ 179,966
 (average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).

Read: Snowdevil launches!

Topic: Extra methods for the IO class Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: An Introduction to Ruby2c - Automatic Translation of Ruby Code to C

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use