The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Mock Turtle Soup

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jim Weirich

Nickname: jimw

Jim Weirich is a long time software developer and a relatively recent Ruby enthusiast.
Mock Turtle Soup Posted: Jul 5, 2003 4:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Jim Weirich.
Original Post: Mock Turtle Soup
Feed Title: { | one, step, back | }
Feed URL: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/synopsis.rss
Feed Description: Jim Weirich's Blog on Software Development, Ruby, and whatever else sparks his interest.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Jim Weirich
Latest Posts From { | one, step, back | }

Advertisement
Mock objects are testing objects that stand in for a real object in a unit test. They are used to test the interactions between objects.

For example, the other night I was testing some CGI code. To display a page of HTML, my object under test calls a print_template method on an object in the CGI framework I am using. It needs to pass in the template name and a hash table of template values to be substituted in the template. The test code might look something like this …

def test_error_page
      web = CGI::Template.new        # Object from the CGI framework
      page = ErrorPage.new(web)
      page.error_message = "Oops!"
      page.render
      # test that "Oops!" was properly passed to the template object.
    end

The last line of the test wants to validate that the error message was properly passed to the web template. We could check this by parsing the HTML output from the CGI::Template, but that is a lot of work (not to mention error prone as well).

A much better way is to directly test that the parameters are passed to the CGI framework object correctly. We do that by replacing the CGI framework object with out own mock object.

Something like this (lines numbered for reference)…

01:  def test_error_page
  02:    FlexMock.use { |web|
  03:      web.mock_handle(:print_template, 1) { |template_name, hash|
  04:        assert_equal 'Oops!', hash['error_message']
  05:      }
  06:      page = ErrorPage.new(web)
  07:      page.error_message = "Oops!"
  08:      page.render
  09:    }
  10:  end

In line 2, the FlexMock.use method creates a mock object and passes it to the given block. At the end of the block (line 9), FlexMock.use will verify that all expected calls were actually made to the mock object.

In line 3, we inform the mock web object what methods calls it should expect by passing the name of the expected method to mock_handle. Since we are only interested in the print_template call, that is all we define. The number 1 in the calling sequence tells our mock object to expect exactly one call.

The mock_handle method also gets a block (still on line 3). This block is executed whenever print_template is called in our test. The block object parameters (template_name and hash in this case) should match the parameters of the print_template method.

It is the hash argument to print_template that hold our interest. We need to make sure that the hash table passed to the template engine correctly defines our error message as "Oops!". We verify this in line 4.

The rest of the test method just creates an ErrorPage and feeds it the mock object primed for testing. In line 8 we invoke the render method that should eventually format our page and call the print_template method of the mock object.

By using the mock object, we avoid a lot of setup details that would be required for a real CGI framework object (which in turn might require more objects with more setup). Using a mock object allows us to concentrate on the details of what is being tested without constructing an elaborate framework of live objects merely to support a quick test.

On the other hand, be careful. It is easy to get carried away with mocking to the point where it is more work to create a web of mock objects than it is to just create a network of live objects in the first place. When you start creating mock object that return other mock objects, you should take one step back and reassess your code base.

There are other Mock objects implementations. The original ruby-mock object is a bit rigid for my tastes. You need to know exactly what methods are called and in what order, and that over constrains the solution to your test. The test-unit-mock object is much more flexible than ruby-mock (or even FlexMock), it is just complicated enough that I forget how to use it between the times I need it. FlexMock seems to fit in that middle of the position where, for me, it does what I need without extra stuff.

You can find FlexMock at onestepback.org/software/flexmock.

Read: Mock Turtle Soup

Topic: Drb Over SSL and QuickCert Previous Topic    

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use