The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Rails vs Iowa, Take 2

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
David Naseby

Nickname: naseby

David Naseby is a coder from Sydney, who codes in Ruby far too much yet not nearly enough.
Rails vs Iowa, Take 2 Posted: Aug 20, 2004 7:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by David Naseby.
Original Post: Rails vs Iowa, Take 2
Feed Title: naseby + ruby + stuff
Feed URL: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~naseby/rss.xml
Feed Description: Random wanderings through Ruby.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by David Naseby
Latest Posts From naseby + ruby + stuff

Advertisement

The initial release bumps seem to have evened out in a remarkably short time, and the word from the community remains overwhelmingly positive, so I’ve decided to give Rails another go. I followed the really rather good documentation to get it working in short order. Rails provides an excellent level of help to get things started. I find the initial stages of a project to be the hardest – just getting something to display, with some frameworks, is tremendously hard or annoying. Rails circumvents that stage, with scaffolding methods and helpers and code generators and tutorials and documentation.

My major beef with Rails is still beefy – I am simply turned off by the amount of code mixed in the html. What really gets me is that Rails is so close to allowing the other kind of pure, exemplified by Seaside, pure code to generate the html. Stepping back a bit: I like purity, either pure XHTML with funky processing to dynamically alter it at runtime (Cerise is probably the best example of this in the Ruby world), or pure Ruby that generates html programmatically (the venerable CGI module in Ruby provides about the worst possible example of this… see Borges for a much better version).

Rails already provides a bunch of helper methods that generate html, such as link_to and text_input. The tutorials show how to make more. If I had one wish for Rails, that would win the prize of my devotion, it would be to add a bunch more helpers, with the option of generating pages purely from helpers, without any <% business.

Anyway. It looks like its not too far off allowing a hacked out version of this style anyway. So I’ll progress down that track, for my further Railsy delvings, and get back to you all if it works. I’m still concentrating on Iowa, as it still does what I need, and well, and quickly. Iowa isn’t pure, using the definitions I’ve placed above, but it leans on the side of html inclusions rather than code inclusions, and that somehow annoys me less. Probably scars from years of ASP.

Other than purity, another reason I’m not entirely content in Iowa-land is debugging. Every time I add a component, I feel pretty certain that I’ll screw some binding up, or miss something, and I’ll end up with a stacktrace in WEBrick with the dreaded ‘nil does not respond to…’ error, plus a bunch of useless info for the classes that did the eval-ing of the buggered component. I’ve learned now not to panic about it, but it would be nice if I could get some better info about what I’ve forgotten, and where.

Iowa also uses the uri as a session marker. This has some big advantages – sessions don’t expire, and don’t depend on cookies – but some large disadvantages. Rails has a beautiful uri system of root/model/view/. All REST-y and cuddly. Iowa can never really manage that system without a major revision to session and application management. It would be really nice, though…

Anyway. I’ve done 2 projects in Iowa (well… really 2 versions of the one project), which was the same project I developed to some extent in Borges as well (the project management thing). I will attempt to develop my next hobby project in Rails. Can’t be any fairer than that, can I? I don’t think I’ll do the same project, even though its a good benchmark job – I’d just feel a bit dirty making a project management tool in Rails, considering thats been done before.

Read: Rails vs Iowa, Take 2

Topic: Was back in Auburn this past weekend for the Aubur... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: No Fluff, Just Stuff Conference 2004

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use