The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
100+ Ruby libraries and applications in the Ruby Production Archive

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mauricio Fernández

Nickname: batsman

Mauricio Fernández is an electrical engineering student
100+ Ruby libraries and applications in the Ruby Production Archive Posted: Aug 7, 2004 11:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Mauricio Fernández.
Original Post: 100+ Ruby libraries and applications in the Ruby Production Archive
Feed Title: fail unless class << self; self end
Feed URL: http://www.thekode.net/blog/Tech/Ruby/syndication.rss
Feed Description: Ruby babblings.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Mauricio Fernández
Latest Posts From fail unless class << self; self end

Advertisement
rpa-base 0.2.0 has been released. In order to prove that the Ruby Production Archive (RPA) approach is practical, I created over 100 packages: all of Rubyforge’s "top sellers" (Rails, Rake, RedCloth, Active Record, SQLite, Log4R, Copland, ruvi, to name a few) and many others: take a look at the full list of packaged software. This means that it is now possible to do
  rpa install instiki rake rails ruvi    # or any of the other 100+ libs/apps

and get these packages plus all their dependencies installed in one go, and atomically (no garbage left, guaranteed), on a number of platforms (rpa-base has been tested on OSX, FreeBSD, DragonFly BSD, Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, older RH, Win32: XP, 2K, cygwin and "Pragmatic installer", etc…)

A number of movies show rpa-base in action, while installing Instiki, Rake, Rlimit (a C extension), Rails, etc… I have some funny videos where syck crashes and rpa-base recovers just fine :)… I am fully expecting other projects to mimic the usage of animations to showcase apps, which I originally stole from Rails, especially since I have created them with yet another small Ruby script.

Call for help

RPA is a very ambitious project and I could really use some help. Here are some of the areas that need to be worked on:

• packaging (new software and package maintenance)
  • website development (should provide package indexes, QA section, bugtracking, etc)
  • setting up a permanent repository infrastructure
  • cross-compilation and build automation

The 2 first ones in particular can be carried out with relative independence from rpa-base… I’d be really happy if you dropped a message to <batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com> (adding RPA to the subject will help get it past the spam filtering ;) or contacted me via IRC, batsman @ #ruby-lang on freenode.net.

Read: 100+ Ruby libraries and applications in the Ruby Production Archive

Topic: Teaching Ruby Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: An Unofficial Ruby Usage Guide

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use