The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Rails Derailed

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
David Naseby

Nickname: naseby

David Naseby is a coder from Sydney, who codes in Ruby far too much yet not nearly enough.
Rails Derailed Posted: Jul 25, 2004 8:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by David Naseby.
Original Post: Rails Derailed
Feed Title: naseby + ruby + stuff
Feed URL: http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~naseby/rss.xml
Feed Description: Random wanderings through Ruby.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by David Naseby
Latest Posts From naseby + ruby + stuff

Advertisement

In an entirely premature judgement, I am going to say Action Pack ain’t so good. Firstly, its Apache only, and I can’t be arsed writing yet another Webrick wrapper myself. Secondly, its just retro ASP-style embedded code templates. Parameter handling, as I’ve ranted about nearly endlessly before, should be dealt with a lot better than throwing fields into a hash.

As I stated, being Apache only, I haven’t used Action Pack. So this comment is uninformed by actual experience, only from scanning the source and examples. There was a question posed to the list mere minutes ago: why are people excited about this, compared to the older and (perhaps) wiser CGIKit ? It rehashes the MVC paradigm, and it brings nothing new to the table. Given David’s track record, it may well be nicer to program in, and David created it for a specific purpose (Basecamp), and has successfully applied it to a well-regarded program (Instiki). But it doesn’t open up a new way of doing things. If this rant is starting to sound familiar, its because I’m whistling the same old tune.

This really is nothing against Rails. I wish David the best with it. I just need the new and shiny things obviously standing out. This seems more like a slightly buffed classic ASP lookalike.

Read: Rails Derailed

Topic: Using SVG in Borges Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RubyForge: Now with Wikis!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use