The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Perl 6 -- Apocalypse 12

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jim Weirich

Nickname: jimw

Jim Weirich is a long time software developer and a relatively recent Ruby enthusiast.
Perl 6 -- Apocalypse 12 Posted: Apr 17, 2004 8:44 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Jim Weirich.
Original Post: Perl 6 -- Apocalypse 12
Feed Title: { | one, step, back | }
Feed URL: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/synopsis.rss
Feed Description: Jim Weirich's Blog on Software Development, Ruby, and whatever else sparks his interest.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Jim Weirich
Latest Posts From { | one, step, back | }

Advertisement

The Once and Future Perl

In February 2001, Larry Wall came to Cincinnati to (amoung other things) give a talk on the future directions that the Perl language would be taking in version 6.

I had switched to using Ruby (from Perl) about 6 months earlier at that time, and I had a chance to talk to Larry about the changes in OO support that he wanted in Perl. I remember him commenting that Perl5 made OO possible, but not necessarily convenient.

In his Apocalypse series, Larry describes the direction Perl 6 will be taking in several areas. Three years after that talk, Apocalypse 12 is available, and it addresses the details of Object Orientation in Perl 6.

I just want to point out that all the examples in this blog entry are directly from the apocalypse.

Objects in Perl 6

I skimmed the article last night and jotted down some notes. You will need to read the apocalypse yourself for any substantial details (its a long article, 20 pages in all). I’m just going touch on some highlights and first impressions.

Objects in Perl 5 were built out of the existing language framework. Blessing was the only new piece added to Perl to support objects, hash, packages and namespaces were all existing Perl concepts. And although it worked, it left the Object Model of Perl very open to variations.

Perl 6 adds more language support for direct support of objects, and leave less to programmer choice. Here is a point object in Perl 6:

class Point {
        has $.x;
        has $.y is rw;
        method clear () { $.x = 0; $.y = 0; }
    }

Notice the keywords for class and the declaration of attributes $.x and $.y. The $.x attribute is publicly readable, and the $.y is publically writable as well. Private attributes can be declared with a colon instead of a period (e.g. $:z).

Methods are part of the class declaration now and are syntactically differentiated from normal subroutines by using the "method" keyword.

ISA vs HASA

In OO circles it is said that HASA relationships should be modeled by composition and ISA relations by inheritance. Although I find that saying to be a bit simplistic, it is cool that Larry makes that connection explicit by his choice of keywords. Did you notice in the above example that the attributes were introduced by the keyword has?

So its not surprising that inheritance is introduced with the is keyword. Here’s another simple example building on the previous one:

class Point3d is Point {
        has $:z = 123;
        method clear () { $:z = 0; next; }
    }

The is keyword is overloaded (this is Perl after all). Traits are also declared using the is keyword. That leads to interesting code like:

class Moose is Mammal is stuffed is really(Hatrack) is spy(Russian) {...}

Roles

Although Perl 6 will support inheritance (single or multiple), it also contains the idea of Roles. My impression of a Role is that is a cross between Ruby modules and Java interfaces.

Roles look a lot like classes, but they cannot be instantiated. Roles cannot inherit from classes, but they can be composed with other roles.

Here is an example role. Notice that the method feed depends upon the method call should should be defined in the final objects.

role Pet {
        method feed ($food) {
            $food.open_can();
            $food.put_in_bowl();
            .call();
        }
    }

Roles are attached to classes with the does keyword:

class Dog {
        is Mammal;
        does Pet;
        does Servant;
        does Best::Friend[Man];
        does Drool;
    }

So far Roles look very much like Ruby modules. However, here is a twist. If the methods in roles are only declared instead of defined, then the Role specifies the methods expected to be implemented in the class. One final example.

role Pet {
        method feed ($food) {...}
        method groom () {...}
        method scratch (+$where) {...}
    }

The {…} construction means that the body of the method is defined elsewhere.

Stuff I Left Out

This Apocalypse runs 20 pages. Its obvious that I skipped over a lot of material. It seems like the OO support in Perl 6 is much better than Perl 5. The object module is very flexible (a good thing), but also rather complex (a not so good thing). Larry addresses some really interesting problems (such as multiple dispatch), and it will be interesting to watch to see if the features really work together or not.

Am I switching? No, not really. I really much prefer the much simplier object model (and syntax!) provide by Ruby. But I will be watching.

Some Great Quotes

Larry is great for generating good quotes. I’ll end this entry with a few quotes that struck me.

It has often been claimed that Perl 5 OO was "bolted on", but that’s inaccurate. It was "bolted through", at right angles to all other reference types, such that any reference could be blessed into being an object. That’s way cool, but it’s often a little too cool.

Here’s another one:

Some people will be surprised to hear it, but Perl is a minimalist language at heart. It’s just minimalistic about weird things compared to your average language.

And speaking of chosing a keyword to distinguish typing from subtyping:

On the other hand, a bit confusingly, it looks like subtyping will be done with the "type" keyword, since we aren’t using that word yet.

Closing Joke

For some reason, I found this extremely funny:

Biologist :What’s worse than being chased by a Velociraptor?
Physicist :Obviously, being chased by an Acceloraptor.

Read: Perl 6 -- Apocalypse 12

Topic: MVC: In layman's terms Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Getting started with Ruby

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use