The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Basecamp is open for business

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
David Heinemeier Hansson

Nickname: dhh

David Heinemeier Hansson is the lead Ruby developer on 37signal's Basecamp and constructor of Rails
Basecamp is open for business Posted: Mar 23, 2004 4:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by David Heinemeier Hansson.
Original Post: Basecamp is open for business
Feed Title: Loud Thinking
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LoudThinking
Feed Description: All about the full-stack, web-framework Rails for Ruby and on putting it to good effect with Basecamp
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by David Heinemeier Hansson
Latest Posts From Loud Thinking

Advertisement

After four months of development, 37signals and I have completed and launched Basecamp 1.0. It's a hosted service for flexible project management composed of categorized weblogs sprinkled with contacts, milestones, and todo-list tracking. There's no fee for single-project setups, up to 10 active projects is $19/month, 25 is $39, and unlimited is $59. 37signals explains pricing and the offering in detail on BasecampHQ and answers questions on Everything Basecamp.

Basecamp has been my most challenging and engaging project yet. Its been my first project in Ruby, the first to embrace
unit testing
, and twice the duration of any former commercial contract. It consists of just above 10,000 lines of Ruby code, which includes the upcoming web-app framework Rails that I've been developing in parallel.

Aside from the technical thrills, it's been a very rewarding domain to work with. Basecamp appeals to me as a consultant and a student. It's exactly the kind of tool I've been trying to stitch together multiple times over the years from various disconnected pieces of social software.

Basecamp is already facilitating the communication and coordination of its own development (eating our own dogfood), my bachelor's project, and will be doing the same for another upcoming consulting project. I'm especially fond of the RSS and iCal integration (and their reasonable security measures).

But there's no reason to praise your own work, when you can have others do it for you. Jason has compiled an already impressive array of reviews and quotes on the Everything Basecamp site that includes: "Best project management UI I've ever seen", "Pure genius and a perfect use of technology", and "Basecamp is incredibly empowering... and utilizes the web's communications capabilities like nothing I've seen before".

So regardless of whether you're a consultant, student, designer, accountant, recruiter, author, or musician I invite you to take a look at Basecamp and be inspired.

Read: Basecamp is open for business

Topic: Writing an RCR Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Saw this ...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use