The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Lego Mindstorms Are Very Cool

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Joey Gibson

Nickname: joeygibson

Joey Gibson is an opinionated software architect who blogs about technology, politics, music, etc.
Lego Mindstorms Are Very Cool Posted: Jan 8, 2004 3:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Joey Gibson.
Original Post: Lego Mindstorms Are Very Cool
Feed Title: Joey Gibson's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.jobkabob.com/index.html
Feed Description: Thoughts, musings, ramblings and rants on Java, Ruby, Python, obscure languages, politics and other exciting topics.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Joey Gibson
Latest Posts From Joey Gibson's Blog

Advertisement
I got some cash for Christmas, bought a Lego Mindstorms robotics kit and It arrived yesterday via UPS truck. Ooo boy, this thing is cool. So far I've built the starter robot (see the photos; click to get larger view) and gone through the tutorials. The RCX 'language' and the development environment is very well done, if a bit too 4GL for my tastes. I will say that this environment is going to be great for my wonderful Thomas, who is five years old, and terribly excited about the robot. To program the robot you drag program blocks around that look like Lego blocks and connect them together. You can do quite a bit without any reading, which is good for a youngster.

For me, though, I want more. So I've already installed a bunch of stuff that should give me more. I've installed and played a bit with NQC (Not Quite C) which is a C-like language. I've installed two IDEs for NQC; one called NQCEdit, and the other called Bricx Command Center. Both are fairly nice if a bit crude. And of course VIm groks NQC source code, so I can always use it and the command line compiler. I've installed a Java API called RCXJava and Shashank Date's API written in Ruby. (His powerpoint slides from RubyConf2003 are available here.) Needless to say, I'm set for a while now with stuff to do...

Read: Lego Mindstorms Are Very Cool

Topic: site directories and programming languages Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RubyConf, here I come

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use