The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Liking RubLog So Far

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eric Stewart

Nickname: estewart

Eric Stewart is software developer from Austin, Texas.
Liking RubLog So Far Posted: Jan 5, 2004 7:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eric Stewart.
Original Post: Liking RubLog So Far
Feed Title: Ponderings On Ruby
Feed URL: http://blog.eric-stewart.com/category/programming-ruby.rss
Feed Description: This is the Ruby related section of Eric Stewart's weblog. These entries will be the commentary of a long time Java/C++ programmer that started exploring Ruby in 2003.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eric Stewart
Latest Posts From Ponderings On Ruby

Advertisement

I replaced my development weblog with RubLog nearly 2 months ago. My main reasons were that I wanted a project to let me play with Ruby, my latest language to learn, and I had gotten tired of the complexity and usability issues of Movable Type. Not that MT was bad at all, but it didn’t fit me. I wanted something simpler in many ways and more extensible in others.

Enter RubLog. Nicely written, simple, fairly extensible. And it’s done in pure Ruby!! There are a few others done in Ruby that look promising as well, but I found RubLog first. But now that I have used it for a little while (not too heavily though), I am beginning to ponder some of the things I would like to see in it for my own use.

I already wrote a custom converter for Textile text (via the Redcloth library). I’ll explain my motivation for that in another post. That was the easy one. Some other ideas will target the depths of RubLog code a little more.

• layout via CSS rather than tables
  • possible metadata (i.e. so entries could somehow match more than one category)
  • entry extension hiding
  • trackback support
  • wiki integration
Of course there are some other features missing that other weblog software supports. These seem less useful to me right now, but many people seem to want.

• admin (posting) user interface
  • comments
  • xml-rpc interface for posting (this might be a more important one that I think right now)
I’m sure I forgot something. Anyhow, it doesn’t matter. This is Dave’s baby anyway. Maybe he’ll find something I implement interesting and add it to the code base. Anyhow, thanks Dave for creating a nice little weblog package!

Read: Liking RubLog So Far

Topic: Deleting Code Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Standard Library Documentation Now Available

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use