The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Small Is Beautiful

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Robby Russell

Nickname: matchboy

Robby Russell is the Founder & Executive Director PLANET ARGON, a Ruby on Rails development firm
Small Is Beautiful Posted: May 22, 2006 6:29 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Robby Russell.
Original Post: Small Is Beautiful
Feed Title: Robby on Rails
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobbyOnRails
Feed Description: Ruby on Rails development, consulting, and hosting from the trenches...
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Robby Russell
Latest Posts From Robby on Rails

Advertisement

Some people have habits that are hard to break. Mine is that I tend to pick up books off of our bookshelf…okay…80% of the books are my fiances… but I’ll take one and just open it and start reading. The problem with this is that I really don’t make (or find) enough time to start at the beginning and finish each book. I often end up just opening up to a random section and reading a few pages until I realize that I’m totally lost or until I find something interesting to think more about. Occasionally… I finish the book.

One such book that I am reading is Small is Beautiful by E.F. Schumacher, which was written in 1973. The topic of the book? ”Economics as if People Mattered.”

The other day I read a section about developing nations, which has always been a topic of interest to me. I’m going to take a step away from the topic of the book and extract something that the author said that caught my interest.

”We tend to think of development, not in terms of evolution, but in terms of creation.”

When I read this… I know that this isn’t referencing application development but development of third-world nations… however it got me thinking. Is it our tendency to try and plan things the whole way through so that we can follow through and create the definitive end-result in one go? This is exactly how some development processes work. Gather requirements, develop one monolithic plan, and implement it. This process can take a half of a year to several… depending on the size of the company. Perhaps there is very little difference between the three year project and the three month, except the smaller team and lapse of time. Could it be that when we admit that we know that requirements will change over time and if we take an iterative approach that we will be better prepared and more open to change?

Development should be an evolutionary process…

...what are your thoughts?

Read: Small Is Beautiful

Topic: Automating PowerPoint with Ruby Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Google Web Toolkit goes AJAX

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use