The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Chasing "undefined method for Fixnum"

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eric Hodel

Nickname: drbrain

Eric Hodel is a long-time Rubyist and co-founder of Seattle.rb.
Chasing "undefined method for Fixnum" Posted: Apr 7, 2006 11:07 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eric Hodel.
Original Post: Chasing "undefined method for Fixnum"
Feed Title: Segment7
Feed URL: http://blog.segment7.net/articles.rss
Feed Description: Posts about and around Ruby, MetaRuby, ruby2c, ZenTest and work at The Robot Co-op.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eric Hodel
Latest Posts From Segment7

Advertisement

I’ve been running the unit tests for 43 People on my Powerbook since the shared development box slowed to a crawl after importing the entire production database and I’m now seeing the “undefined method [blah] for -517611318:Fixnum” message occasionally on my Powerbook. Not content to suffer through running another thirty seconds of tests I reached into eval.c and added a call to rb_bug() when method_missing is called on the Fixnum -517611318.

Within a couple runs of the tests I ended up with a core, but the NODE * argument to rb_eval() was 0×0 for all calls. This made no sense, that value can’t possibly be 0×0 for every call to rb_eval, the optimization flags must have been getting in the way.

So I rebuilt Ruby with -O0 and haven’t gotten a core since. So one of the optimizations that -O or -O2 makes is screwing up Ruby’s internals. Now I’m trying a -O1 build to see if I can reproduce. If I don’t get any problems with -O1 I’ll try sorting through -O2’s flags until I find the culprit.

Read: Chasing "undefined method for Fixnum"

Topic: Tracking the Ruby CVS with Git Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Feature removal in Rails?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use