The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Robot Co-op Software

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Eric Hodel

Nickname: drbrain

Eric Hodel is a long-time Rubyist and co-founder of Seattle.rb.
Robot Co-op Software Posted: Mar 20, 2006 12:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Eric Hodel.
Original Post: Robot Co-op Software
Feed Title: Segment7
Feed URL: http://blog.segment7.net/articles.rss
Feed Description: Posts about and around Ruby, MetaRuby, ruby2c, ZenTest and work at The Robot Co-op.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Eric Hodel
Latest Posts From Segment7

Advertisement

I’ve seen a lot of comments asking for information on our software setup, so here it is. If you’d like more detail just ask, I’ll fill you in as best I can either in a comment or in a future post.

All our online machines run FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE. We use Amanda for backups which gets rsynced off-site. Subversion is used for revision control of all our configuration data.

We have our own CVSup mirror and package build machine which builds packages for all our boxes to keep things in-sync and to decrease the load on FreeBSD’s CVSup mirrors. We also NFS-mount the src and ports directories to reduce wasted disk space. portaudit is used for vulnerability monitoring and portupgrade for performing package upgrades.

Critical processes are watched by dwatch. Clocks are synchronized with ntpd.

Webservers (x4)

The webservers all run PAE kernels with 6GB of ram. 2GB is allocated to memcached and the rest gets chewed up by Rails processes. Each of our sites gets its own set of processes and we have 25 total Rails processes running per host.

For pages our webservers are all Apache 1.3 with mod_fastcgi. Apache logs are rotated by cronolog and processed by AWStats (but I might switch to Visitors).

We’re using Rails (of course) to generate our pages. We use a library very similar to CachedModel to fetch ActiveRecord objects out of memcached. We don’t use any page or fragment caching.

For images our webservers are WEBrick using a Ruby MogileFS library I wrote (but have not yet released). Image resizing is performed by RMagick, occasionally on-the-fly.

We use the lang/ruby18-nopthreads port of Ruby because we experienced an incredible load increase with the default pthread version.

Each machine runs memcached with 2GB of cache (so be sure to set kern.maxdsiz and kern.maxssiz in /boot/loader.conf appropriately). We store sessions, ActiveRecords and random other expensive-to-compute data in memcache.

Each machine is a MogileFS tracker node and file store. All our images get stored in MogileFS. We use NFS mode due to problems with components of Perlbal on FreeBSD. (With the way we’ve implemented image serving and FreeBSD’s NFS implementation it works out fine.)

Our webservers all run sendmail set up as a smart host pointing to a machine running postfix. This keeps outbound mail sending fast and reduces the amount of maintenance.

Database

We have one database server, it runs MySQL 4.1.x and isn’t all that special. Bob tuned it based on Wikipedia’s configuration files (which I’ve lost the link to).

Miscellaneous

We have one machine that does miscellaneous jobs. It runs postfix for inbound and outbound mail, runs crons that update memcached, analyzes log files and a small handful of other unimportant things.

Read: Robot Co-op Software

Topic: Changes At Work Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: SXSW 2006

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use