The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Vienna VI: The Schönbrunn Palace

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Premshree Pillai

Nickname: premshree

Premshree Pillai is a Ruby evangelist, working with Yahoo!.
Vienna VI: The Schönbrunn Palace Posted: Mar 14, 2006 6:31 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Premshree Pillai.
Original Post: Vienna VI: The Schönbrunn Palace
Feed Title: Premshree's Personal Weblog
Feed URL: http://premshree.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: Premshree's Weblog
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Premshree Pillai
Latest Posts From Premshree's Personal Weblog

Advertisement

After having some food at Donau Tower, I took the U1 to Karlsplatz, and then the U4 to Schönbrunn, home to The Schönbrunn Palace, and various other things of interest: a zoo, a public maze, The Gloriette, etc.

I didn’t go inside the palace (12€, I think). Instead, I decided to walk up to the Gloriette. Yes, there’s a café there too; it was closed, though (I think it’s open in summers). This was probably the awesomest (and most romantic) place I’ve visited here. And the view from here is awesome too:

I was feeling hungry at this time, so I looked if there’s any of the recommended restaurants somewhere close. I found Pizzeria Mafiosi off a lane on Mariahilferstraße (and also very close to Westbahnof). Anyway, it was a really long walk, and I was dead tired. I had a mug of beer and a huge pizza. All in 5.7€. Made me realize what suckers the Pizza Hut (and the likes) folks back here are. Anyway, the place is nice, but wasn’t necessarily worth the walk.

I headed back to the hostel, took some rest, and then decided to visit St. Marx Friedhof (St. Marx cemetery). Mozart was buried here. (Beyond St. Marx Friedhof is Zentralfriedhof where Beethooven and other famous artists are buried.) So I took the U3 to Volkstheater, then the U1 to Karlsplatz, and finally tram 71 from Schwarzenbergplatz to St. Marx Friedhof. It was quite late by this time—around 18:00 or so, and so couldn&rsqauo;t enter the cemetery (closes at 17:00).

Now there was a Chris Rea concert at 20:00 at Guglgaße (it’s at another end). I was *way* too tired, so ditched. Wish I had attended.

All pictures from Schönbrunn »

This ends the Vienna series. Hope you’ve enjoyed them. All pictures from Vienna »

I’m hoping to go backpacking around Europe (Amsterdam, Bavaria, Prague, Kraków, Bratislava, Budapest — something like that, I guess) later this year. Let’s see.

Read: Vienna VI: The Schönbrunn Palace

Topic: Pay no attention to the heathens Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Entrevista a Matz

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use