The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Lost a follower

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
Lost a follower Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:24 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: Lost a follower
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
I hate bugs in my code. I test, sure, but sometimes there are scenarios you just don't think of that you *should* have thought of. And sometimes users of your package will only put up with so much before they lose faith and move on.

I've had a couple incidents with getopt-long recently where I think I lost someone. The first wasn't so much a bug as unclear documentation and a bad error message. The second was, although not really mentioned as legal in the docs, a bug. Specifically, I didn't allow for embedded hyphens in long option names, e.g. --with-foo.

Why? I really have no excuse. I can only surmise that in practice I almost always use the short form if given the option, and so I didn't think out better tests for the long option names. I fixed it ASAP, but I have this feeling my reputation is now somewhat tarnished in that users eyes, and he'll probably be less likely to trust my code in the future.

Maybe I'm overreacting but it's a pretty sucky feeling.

Read: Lost a follower

Topic: Ruby Conference 2006 Is In Denver Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Tweaking an old GForge SQL query

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use