The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Extending script.aculo.us

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Bob Silva

Nickname: bobsilva

Bob Silva is a Rails Developer for the UMESD
Extending script.aculo.us Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Bob Silva.
Original Post: Extending script.aculo.us
Feed Title: Rails Video Tutorials
Feed URL: http://www.railtie.net/xml/rss/feed.xml
Feed Description: A growing collection of screencasts that show you how to use the many facets of the wonderful world of rails.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Bob Silva
Latest Posts From Rails Video Tutorials

Advertisement

One of the great features of Rails is its plugin system. It allows you to add new functionality to the framework without modifying the original source. On my current project, I had a need to create a CachingAutoCompleter and I wanted to do it within Rails.

Rails has a method that will work just fine, text_field_with_auto_complete. The problem lies in the fact that this method creates an Ajax.Autocompleter, whereas I need an AutoComplete object with my caching functionality. I could modify the script.aculo.us source for Ajax.Autocompletor and add my caching layer but surely there's gotta be a better way, something akin to the Rails plugin system.

Click the image below to watch a screencast (7MB) of how I accomplished this goal.

You can download the source of the CachingAutoCompleter here.

Read: Extending script.aculo.us

Topic: Full text indexing with Swish-e Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: iPhoto2

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use