The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Java as a Platform for Dynamic Languages

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Obie Fernandez

Nickname: obie

Obie Fernandez is a Technologist for ThoughtWorks
Java as a Platform for Dynamic Languages Posted: Feb 4, 2006 11:57 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Obie Fernandez.
Original Post: Java as a Platform for Dynamic Languages
Feed Title: Obie On Rails (Has It Been 9 Years Already?)
Feed URL: http://jroller.com/obie/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: Obie Fernandez talks about life as a technologist, mostly as ramblings about software development and consulting. Nowadays it's pretty much all about Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Obie Fernandez
Latest Posts From Obie On Rails (Has It Been 9 Years Already?)

Advertisement

While I've lost all desire to write Java code, I find it heartening that important people are talking about decoupling use of the Java Platform from use of the Java language. Stephen O'Grady reports from the Sun Analyst Conference:

Unlike IBM or Oracle, Sun's done little above the operating system level to engage with large scripting communities. Unlike OpenSolaris, which as discussed yesterday as done an excellent job of forging ties to a variety of languages and platforms, the rest of the software assets continue view competing languages through the Java lens. Rather than talk about Ruby, it's JRuby. Rather than talk about PHP, they'll talk about Caucho. Rather than talk about Python, they'll push Jython. Taking nothing away from those or other projects such as Groovy, they are not the centers of gravity in the development space. There are a great many dynamic language developers who either won't or can't run a JVM, so a Jython or a JRuby that will run on top of one is not of interest - it's more likely to be a non-starter. Java advocates might come back and remind me of JSR 223, but given that that effort began in '03 and is still listed as in progress, I stand by my contention that the Java world has not done enough to make room for competing approaches. via Tim Bray

Will I be able to easily deploy my Ruby on Rails apps on a JVM in 2007? 2008? How long will it take?

Read: Java as a Platform for Dynamic Languages

Topic: Projekt WebGameEngine rozpoczęty Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RailsConf 2006: Open for registration!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use