The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Learning Haskell

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jamis Buck

Nickname: minam

Jamis Buck is a C/Java software developer for BYU, and hacks in Ruby for fun.
Learning Haskell Posted: Oct 30, 2005 9:02 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Jamis Buck.
Original Post: Learning Haskell
Feed Title: the buckblogs here
Feed URL: http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/blog.cgi/programming/index.rss
Feed Description: Jamis Buck's corner of the blogging universe. Mostly about ruby, but includes ramblings on a variety of topics.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Jamis Buck
Latest Posts From the buckblogs here

Advertisement

So, I finally had a little time this weekend to try and get back into a habit I had unfortunately fallen out of—learning at least one new programming language each year.

Haskell is one language I’ve been meaning to investigate. I’ve actually tried to pick it up a few times, but it has some pretty high barriers to entry:

• There are several implementations available, without any good recommendations of which one to use. (I finally went and grabbed GHC, because darcs requires it and I wanted to give darcs a try.)
  • GHC takes forever to install from source. Many, many hours. If there is a precompiled binary for your platform, I’d highly recommend grabbing it.
  • Until quite recently, there have been no good online tutorials for learning Haskell. Even A Gentle Introduction to Haskell is anything but. (Brian Mitchell once explained to me that it is gentle compared to the highly academic Haskell Report, which it supplements.)
  • As a functional language, it is significantly different from most other languages I’ve ever used. Thus, without a good tutorial it was hard for me to wrap my brain around it.

Fortunately, I stumbled upon A Haskell Tutorial for C Programmers, which was finally what I needed to break into Haskell programming. It covers all the major bases, and gives you just enough background to go in and start reading the other tutorials.

Anyway, I’m excited to start learning Haskell. I certainly doubt it’ll replace Ruby as my language of preference, but it’s always good to step back and get a new perspective on the art and science of computer programming.

Read: Learning Haskell

Topic: Getting old(er) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Test VS Behavior

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use