The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Ruby, Vile Temptress

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Granger

Nickname: ged

Michael Granger is just another Ruby Hacker.
Ruby, Vile Temptress Posted: Oct 15, 2005 8:08 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Michael Granger.
Original Post: Ruby, Vile Temptress
Feed Title: devEiate
Feed URL: http://deveiate.org/feed/rss/blog
Feed Description: A blog about Ruby, codecraft, testing, linguistics, and stuff. Mostly stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Michael Granger
Latest Posts From devEiate

Advertisement

Obie just posted an entry describing his growing love for Ruby in a way that seemed strangely familiar:

My friends really spoke highly of Ruby, so we started spending time together. The love affair began in February 2005 and about a month later, things started getting pretty bad with my wife, Java. Even when I was doing Java, I couldn’t stop thinking of Ruby and how much better she is for me.

Reading back in the FaerieMUD Wiki, I realized that it was very like a conversation my friend Dave and I had almost 5 years ago today regarding my decision to switch from Perl to Ruby for that project:

I am faced with a dilemma – I have, as Scotus puts it: “fallen for a new mistress”, and her name is Ruby.

It seems strangely appropriate that some of the best hackers I know speak about Ruby in anthropomorphic terms. Language, both human and machine, is an intimate tool, a construct that we use to reflect our inner workings out into something that can be shared or put to work to accomplish something. It’s the conduit by which the ephemera of dream take on lives of their own.

And I’ve found that Ruby is a mistress that is understanding and kind, and often seems to anticipate what you want before you know it yourself. She’s treated me well these last 5 years.

Read: Ruby, Vile Temptress

Topic: Lantern illuminates XPath Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ruby-Talk Names That, When Pronounced Aloud, Make Me Happy I'm Alive

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use