The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Ruby Code & Stlye Going Live Tomorrow

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Britt

Nickname: jamesbritt

James Britt is a principal in 30 Second Rule, and runs ruby-doc.org and rubyxml.com
Ruby Code & Stlye Going Live Tomorrow Posted: Oct 9, 2005 3:52 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by James Britt.
Original Post: Ruby Code & Stlye Going Live Tomorrow
Feed Title: ruby-doc
Feed URL: http://www.ruby-doc.org/index.rb/rss0.91.xml
Feed Description: New and updates for the Ruby Documentation Project web site.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by James Britt
Latest Posts From ruby-doc

Advertisement

Tomorrow morning, 10 October, Ruby Code & Style goes live with issue number 1. This is Artima's new on-line magazine of Ruby development. The zine home page is pretty bare right now (it gets automagially updated by a publication scheduling tool), but check out the names on the advisory board. It's a Who's Who of everybody who's anybody in the Ruby world.

About a month or so ago, I stepped in as Editor-in-Chief, picking up on the excellent work of Shashank Date. My main goal was to see the first issue published in time for RuybConf 2005, and, barring anything too weird, that's what will happen shortly after midnight tonight.

The premiere issue has three outstanding articles:

First up, Jack Herrington, author of Code Generation in Action (Manning, 2002) and Podcasting Hacks (O'Reilly, 2005), has written "Modular Architectures with Ruby"

Any reasonably complex end-user application is going to require some sort of customization and enhancement for effective deployment. This article shows one way to create a modular architecture as a way of leaving the door open for advanced users or consultants who want to extend the functionality without modifying the source.

Next, Austin Ziegler gives us "Creating Printable Documents with Ruby"

In this article, Austin Ziegler introduces the creation of a variety of types of documents with PDF::Writer for Ruby. This introduction covers basic creation, partial document generation and customization, and Rails-generated documents.

And we're reprinting Ara Howard's article, "Linux Clustering with Ruby Queue: Small is Beautiful", which first appeared in Linux Journal but deserves repeat attention

Ruby Queue software package lowers the barriers scientists need to overcome in order to realize the power of Linux clusters. It provides an extremely simple, economic, and easy-to-understand tool that harnesses the power of many CPUs while simultaneously allowing researchers to shift their focus away from the mundane details of complicated distributed computing systems and back to the task of actually doing science. The tool set is designed with a K.I.S.S, research focused, philosophy that enables any ordinary (non-root) user to set up a zero-admin Linux cluster in 10 minutes or less. It is currently being used successfully in such diverse fields as bio-chemical research at the University of Toronto, geo-mechanical modeling at IGEOSS, and studying the nighttme lights of the world at the National Geophysical Data Center.

I'm very proud to be a part of this, and grateful to the hard work of all involved. A big thanks to the advisory board, and especial to Bill Venners for starting this whole thing.

Ruby Code and Style is, of course, on the lookout for content. If you enjoy writing and think you have an idea for an article, please drop me a line a james DOT britt AT gmail DOT com. If you are attending the upcoming RubyConf in San Diego, track me down (you may have to refresh the page to get a recognizable picture of me).

James Britt

Read: Ruby Code & Stlye Going Live Tomorrow

Topic: RubyConf Face Book Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Rails Rails Rails Rails

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use