The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Virus Attack by way of Ruby-lang.org Spoof

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Britt

Nickname: jamesbritt

James Britt is a principal in 30 Second Rule, and runs ruby-doc.org and rubyxml.com
Virus Attack by way of Ruby-lang.org Spoof Posted: Oct 8, 2005 9:16 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by James Britt.
Original Post: Virus Attack by way of Ruby-lang.org Spoof
Feed Title: James Britt: Ruby Development
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JamesBritt-Home
Feed Description: James Britt: Playing with better toys
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by James Britt
Latest Posts From James Britt: Ruby Development

Advertisement

I happen to have an E-mail account with ruby-lang.org. There's a geek coolness factor in that, but as a practical matter I tend to stick to using addresses directly related to other domains. So I was quite surprised to see E-mail arrive on that account, and extra surprised when the first message told me I had successfully updated the password of my Ruby-lang account. And the second message then said my account was suspended due to a security issue.

But there were some signs that this was not quite on the level. The first message had a gibberish subject line. And both messages included zip file attachments. The zip files contained, Surprise!, executables.

Actually, one had an executable, with a laughable attempt to obscure the .exe file extension; the other had a .scr file, equally poorly disguised.

I've brought this to the attention of folks at ruby-lang.org, but if you've an account there, take notice.

Read: Virus Attack by way of Ruby-lang.org Spoof

Topic: Pugs and Eigenclasses? Yessir, This Satire's Got Legs! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Life round-up

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use