The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Master, console, and servant part two

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Robby Russell

Nickname: matchboy

Robby Russell is the Founder & Executive Director PLANET ARGON, a Ruby on Rails development firm
Master, console, and servant part two Posted: Oct 4, 2005 12:04 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Robby Russell.
Original Post: Master, console, and servant part two
Feed Title: Robby on Rails
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/rss/feed.xml
Feed Description: My reflections on programming with Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL... and learning how to run a business...
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Robby Russell
Latest Posts From Robby on Rails

Advertisement

This is a brief addition to the post from a few days ago, Master, console, and servant.

Noradio on IRC pointed out one thing that I did not mention in my previous blog entry… that you can bind a subsession of irb to a specific object. What??

Okay, let me explain this a bit more. Instead of always setting a variable to hold an instance of an object, you can be a bit more creative with irb.

I present…

So, for example. You can perform the following in script/console.

irb Model.find(4) name

If there is an attribute/method called name in your model, then it will call it there. See my screen shot for some more details of how I used the jobs and fg # commands to switch jobs…. and I even found out what happens when you attempt to switch to the current thread. :-)

Until next time…

Read: Master, console, and servant part two

Topic: Ringing Hell's Bells for Java Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Multilingual Rails Update

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use