The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
The Samsung YP-U1X

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Christian Neukirchen

Nickname: chris2

Christian Neukirchen is a student from Biberach, Germany playing and hacking with Ruby.
The Samsung YP-U1X Posted: Oct 1, 2005 10:19 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Christian Neukirchen.
Original Post: The Samsung YP-U1X
Feed Title: chris blogs: Ruby stuff
Feed URL: http://chneukirchen.org/blog/category/ruby.atom
Feed Description: a weblog by christian neukirchen - Ruby stuff
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Christian Neukirchen
Latest Posts From chris blogs: Ruby stuff

Advertisement

Samsung YP-U1X

Today I bought an MP3 player by Samsung, the YP-U1X, primarily because it not only plays MP3, but also Ogg Vorbis (They are so humble, they don’t even mention that outside the technical specification; it’s the killer argument!). Since a significant part of my music collection is in Ogg, this was an essential requirement to me. Also, it was pretty cheap—77€ for 512MB flash.

Overall, I’m very pleased with it. The display is sharp and has a good backlight, the design is pleasing (okay, it’s not as nice as a Nano, but not as butt-ugly as some random no-name player). Last but not the least, the usability is fairly good, although this is no reason not to ship with a printed version of the manual, Samsung! Unfortunately, it has no direct encoding to MP3 while recording, but I can live with that.

There is only one thing that bugs me, and it’s a rub a lot of MP3 players have. It’s about sorting the songs and the order they are played in. My music is arranged like ~/Music/Artist/Album/Song. The name doesn’t contain the track number, mostly because I use playlists when I use XMMS and iTunes sorts the songs on its own anyway. I really don’t understand why the players can’t do that too.

Anyway, Ruby to the rescue. The script grok_order.rb takes directories as parameters and makes a list of all music files contained in them. Then, it orders them by their album and track and finally prefixes the files with nnnn- to enforce the order for alphabetically-sorted players.

Therefore, I just need to run

ruby grok_order.rb /Volumes/YP-U1X

and the tracks are in the order they appear on the albums. Enjoy.

NP: Bob Dylan—Hard Times in New York Town

Read: The Samsung YP-U1X

Topic: Badminton Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sharing the RubyForge bandwidth load

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use