The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
I done brok'ed Rails

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
I done brok'ed Rails Posted: Sep 21, 2005 11:33 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: I done brok'ed Rails
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
Remember my blog entry about Zed Shaw's rant regarding the Logger handling in Nitro (which also happens in Rails)?

Inspired by that rant I sent an email to NaHi (the logger author) and suggested a change to allow the format of the logger output to be set by the user instead of hard coded, and Nicholas Seckar also chimed in with his own approach. Eventually NaHi agreed to the change in principle, but used his own implementation (I think). From the devel-logger README:
Changes

1.2.6 - 2005-09-13
    * added formatter accessor to logger for dictating the way in which the
      logger should format the messages it displays.  Thanks to Nicholas Seckar
      (cf. [ruby-talk:153391]) and Daniel Berger.

This change was put into the 1.8.3 release and had a huge side effect on Rails as a result of the "clean_logger.rb" file, which caused Rails to go boom when using Ruby 1.8.3.

So, you could say that I (and Nicholas) caused Rails to break. Of course, right minded individuals will recognize what a horrible turd clean_logger.rb is and assign blame appropriately.

And that's what America is all about, dammit! Assigning blame!

Oh, sorry, a little Hurricane Katrina cynicism crept in at the end there. Also, I was just being facetious about the whole blame thing. Anyway, I hear it's already fixed. :)

Read: I done brok'ed Rails

Topic: Kindness is the currency of open source support Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A couple more unit testing strategies (for C extension writers)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use