The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Katrina Hurricane Relief with Rails

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Rudi Cilibrasi

Nickname: cilibrar

Rudi Cilibrasi is a longtime programmer and machine-learning researcher who loves Ruby
Katrina Hurricane Relief with Rails Posted: Sep 7, 2005 11:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Rudi Cilibrasi.
Original Post: Katrina Hurricane Relief with Rails
Feed Title: Esoteric Ruby Blog
Feed URL: http://cilibrar.com/~cilibrar/erblog.cgi/index.rss
Feed Description: A weblog made to explore some Ruby ideas in great detail and try to work out ideal solutions to real problems.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Rudi Cilibrasi
Latest Posts From Esoteric Ruby Blog

Advertisement

I have been involved in a new Wiki to work together to assist the relief effort for Hurricane Katrina. We have been coordinating among all the various organizations, people, and communication networks to try to help people. We have gotten a lot of press from CNN, AP, BusinessWeek, NPR, and others. And we are getting about 300,000 hits a day at last check. Have a look at our website at http://katrinahelp.info/ (or http://katrina.internet2.edu/ if that name above doesn't work) We have a massive dual processor system for this project to take heavy loads. We have gotten an army of volunteer typists transcribing missing person records into a database. About a dozen people have written scripts to grab data off other sites and convert them to this XML/RSS format called PFIF, the PeopleFinder Interchange Format. The major importance of this format is that it is made for sharing info from the ground up instead of hording all missing person info in one central database. I have been doing a little Ruby scripting myself to convert to this. The problem now is one of final integration and front end work; I am not that good at XML yet but given we have more than 100,000 records already collected it would be a shame if it is only PHP and Java that works out. Are any of the Ruby masters available for saving the world? If so please check out our status on the website and see if you might enjoy saving people's live and helping them be happy during a very hard time. We can also promote Ruby a lot with this press and show how good Ruby is for this kind of thing just for Ruby. I would also like to have just a 1-screen dirt simple Rails app going and wonder if there is any wider interest in the community. I hope to see some of you on the website soon.

Read: Katrina Hurricane Relief with Rails

Topic: IMG_0710.JPG [Flickr] Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: IMG_0707.JPG [Flickr]

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use