The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
More on traits (roles, whatever)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
More on traits (roles, whatever) Posted: Aug 10, 2005 12:02 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: More on traits (roles, whatever)
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
Curtis took me to task regarding my mixins comment. Fair enough. So, what's a Ruby programmer to do to ensure that name collision doesn't happen? Let's review the options (which I'm putting here for my own sake as well as yours).

Option 1 - Use the use package (on the RAA). Rather than doing a wholesale include of a module, only include the methods you know you're going to need.
require "use"

class Foo
   use Bar, :hello
end

Option 2 - Use the import-module package (on the RAA) and explicitly specify which module's method you want to use. It's a bit verbose but it works.
require "import-module"

f = Foo.new

# Use the Bar module's hello method
Foo.import_module(Bar) do
   f.hello
end

# Use the Baz module's hello method
Foo.import_module(Baz) do
   f.hello
end

Option 3 - Create a facade using module functions in your code. Naturally this assumes that module functions are available, though it's easy enough to make them if not.
class Foo
   include Bar
   include Baz
   def hello
      Bar.hello
   end
end

Option 4 - Alias the desired methods before performing additional includes.
class Foo
   include Bar
   alias :hello_orig :hello
   include Baz
end

f = Foo.new
f.hello      # Baz's hello
f.hello_orig # Bar's hello

Although roles/traits can potentially be useful, I still don't believe that adding them into the Ruby core is needed or desireable. We have some 3rd party solutions, plus some potential builtin solutions if you really need them.

One thing I *would* agree to, however, is to make -w emit a method redefinition warning of some sort when module method conflicts do arise. I'm actually a little surprise it doesn't already, actually, though I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement. Time to send an email to the list. :)

Read: More on traits (roles, whatever)

Topic: Typo 2.5 released Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ruby 2.0 and blocks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use