The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Java Regex APIs and Quoting

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Joey Gibson

Nickname: joeygibson

Joey Gibson is an opinionated software architect who blogs about technology, politics, music, etc.
Java Regex APIs and Quoting Posted: Sep 8, 2003 12:05 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Joey Gibson.
Original Post: Java Regex APIs and Quoting
Feed Title: Joey Gibson's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.jobkabob.com/index.html
Feed Description: Thoughts, musings, ramblings and rants on Java, Ruby, Python, obscure languages, politics and other exciting topics.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Joey Gibson
Latest Posts From Joey Gibson's Blog

Advertisement
I've just been digging through the J2SE 1.4 regex stuff, and every time I have to do regex work in Java I keep thinking how much easier it is in other languages. Specifically I'm talking about the clunkiness of the various regexen APIs in Java and the requirement to double-backslash regex operators. We need a better way. Ruby and Perl both have native regex support built in to the language, so the backslashes are just fine. Python, which doesn't have native regex support (it's in the library), does have "raw" string quoting, which allows you not to double-up the backslashes. So what I have to write like this in Java:

1  Pattern p =
2      Pattern.compile("(\\(\\d+\\))?\\s*(\\d{3}\\s*\\-\\s*(\\d{3})");
3  Matcher m = p.matcher(my_string);
4  if (m.matches())
5  {
6      ...;
7  }

or

1  if (Pattern.matches("(\\(\\d+\\))?\\s*(\\d{3}\\s*\\-\\s*(\\d{3})", my_string))
2  {
3      ...;
4  }

looks like this in Python:

1  if re.match("(\(\d+\))?\s*(\d{3}\s*\-\s*(\d{3})", my_string):
2      ...

and could be even more easily written in Ruby thus:

1  if my_string =~ /(\(\d+\))?\s*(\d{3}\s*\-\s*(\d{3})/
2      ...
3  end

See the difference? The built-in regex support is really nice and the ease of quoting is a beautiful thing. I doubt that we'll ever see either of these in Java since they would certainly be considered non-trivial to add.

Read: Java Regex APIs and Quoting

Topic: Apprenez Ruby Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: New Book Featuring Ruby

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use