The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
No OSCON, will play games

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
No OSCON, will play games Posted: Aug 8, 2005 6:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: No OSCON, will play games
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
While some of you lucky bastards were having a blast out in Portland this past week, I went out to visit a friend of mine in Detroit where we had yet another game-a-thon. This weekend involved three new games and one we've played before:

* Pacific Victory. A relatively simple block game covering the Pacific theatre during WWII. Verdict: good but not great. Playable in under 4 hours, which is always nice.

* EastFront. Another block game, this one covering the German invasion of Russia during WWII, though this one is more complex. Verdict: pretty good. The execution flows well, but I had trouble remembering many of the finer rules details, although I think I've got it now. Definitely worth a repeat.

* Triumph of Chaos. A card driven board game that covers the Russian Civil War. Smartly borrows some of the better elements of Paths of Glory while adding considerably more flavor than PoG thanks to a multitude of political factions who may or may not influence the outcome. Verdict: Brilliant. Best new game I've played this year. We played it twice.

* Republic of Rome. A card based game covering anywhere from the early Roman Republic (1st Punic War) all the way to the death of Julius Caesar (44 BC). An oldy but a goody. There were four of us for this one. For the first time we decided to start with the Middle Republic (Marius/Sulla/Brothers Gracchi). In the end one of Chad's friends won. Verdict: fun, but better played with 5, and better to start in the Early Republic.

Ok, so maybe this wasn't as fun as OSCON would have been, but at least now I have some idea who Nestor Makhno was. :)

Read: No OSCON, will play games

Topic: Typo 2.5 preview Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Starry Afternoon has Expanded

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use