The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Tricks with modules

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
Tricks with modules Posted: Aug 1, 2005 7:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: Tricks with modules
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
As things stand now with Ruby the include directive isn't very flexible:
class Foo
   include Bar
end

In the above example, the Foo class mixes in *all* of the methods of the Bar module. On the sydney-devel mailing list someone was trying to arrange things so that he could selectively mixin certain methods from a module. Perl users are used to being able to do this. Here's an example:
use Foo qw/bar baz/;

This would import the functions bar and baz from the package Foo in Perl. Of course, you can selectively export functions in Perl as well, but I digress.

Is this possible in Ruby? It is, though it isn't exactly intuitive since tricks with bind, which is how I thought it would be solved, just don't work. In a nutshell, you create an anonymous module, undef all the unwanted methods from the original module, then call module_eval. Thanks go to Ara Howard for the solution.

As cool as that is, I still have a nagging feeling there's a fundamental design problem with the original poster's approach to whatever problem he's trying to solve. In Ruby, the need to selectively mixin specific methods is so rare, and so un-Ruby-like, that I'm afraid I'm left wondering just what the heck they're doing. The only reason I could see for doing something like that is a scenario where you have multiple modules you want to include which have identical methods. Even then, module functions should solve your problem.

Well, heck, it's a cool little trick anyway, so I'll publish the "use" package sometime this week. It will simply look like this:
module Foo
   def bar
      "hello"
   end
   def baz
      "world"
   end
end

class Zap
   use Foo, :bar
end

z = Zap.new
z.bar # "hello"
z.baz # NoMethodError

Oh, quick note - I was going to just redefine include, until I realized that it can take multiple module names! Guess it goes to show you how often I include multiple modules in the same class. ;)

Read: Tricks with modules

Topic: Windows Ruby? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Disk wiping utilities?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use