The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Growing an open source ecosystem

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
David Heinemeier Hansson

Nickname: dhh

David Heinemeier Hansson is the lead Ruby developer on 37signal's Basecamp and constructor of Rails
Growing an open source ecosystem Posted: Jul 16, 2005 6:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by David Heinemeier Hansson.
Original Post: Growing an open source ecosystem
Feed Title: Loud Thinking
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LoudThinking
Feed Description: All about the full-stack, web-framework Rails for Ruby and on putting it to good effect with Basecamp
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by David Heinemeier Hansson
Latest Posts From Loud Thinking

Advertisement

While open source is a great model at any scale, it gains an almost unstoppable power as it tips, picks up rapid momentum, and establishes a real ecosystem. For open source projects aiming for a lasting impact, the greatest fear should be obscurity. Sourceforge is littered with open source casulties that didn't manage to get the ball rolling.

Thus, mindshare is paramount. Publicity matters. Passion attracts the next great programmer that'll patch the project past the present and into the next smart evolution. Combine passion with relevance and contemporary significance and you truly have a winning mix.

And few things drive relevance and significance as commercial adoption. Passion for the sake of it can only retain most people for so long. To keep the cooking up it's incredibly helpful to be able to eat off the same plate. Commercial adoption does that. It serves as both a retainer and an accelerator. Get better, faster.

Realizing this, I've been trying to help along this chain of events from the early days of Ruby on Rails. It was apparent in my own work life that the projects I needed to get on with business got a lot more attention than the ones that didn't. Rails was forged in the fires of necessity, driven by the commercial interests of 37signals. It owes more than technical finesse to that reality. It owes the drive to get out of obscurity.

Naturally, it has not past me by unnoticed that mixing passion, evangelism, and a drive to fight obscurity is an explosive cocktail. I don't believe that you can ignite high emotion without generating backlash as a residue. But it's worth it.

Because once you realize that an healthy ecosystem has arrived, it's overwhelmingly satisfying. To grow something out of nothing...

• To see 170+ people sign up as "...earning a substantial or full paycheck from working professionally with Ruby on Rails" from 26 different countries.
  • To receive close to 1,000 patches in 9 months.
  • To have 6-7 books in development by publishers such as O'Reilly and one already out from the Pragmatic Programmers.
  • To see 285 people in the #rubyonrails channel on FreeNode one night or 169 messages on a single day on the mailing list.
  • To get 87,000+ downloads measured on RubyForge
  • To be booked for two keynotes, three sessions, and two tutorials across conferences like OSCON, JAOO, RubyConf, and EuroOSCON over the coming three months.
  • To witness transformations of hostility to tranquility in high profile developers

In the grand scale of things, we're of course still but a tiny blip on the radar. But considering that its been less than a year since the unveiling of Rails, I think we're doing pretty good. And I don't even want to prophesy what the enumeration of wins will look like a year from now. But I definitely believe that we'll look back at today's excitement and impact and laugh at the humble beginnings.

It's exciting times today and ahead.

Read: Growing an open source ecosystem

Topic: Rails 0.13 and typo Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Comparing J2EE and Rails on developerWorks

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use