The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
In Praise of Evolvable Systems

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Assaph Mehr

Nickname: assaph

Assaph is a Sr Tech Designer, which just means that he draws diagrams by day and programs by night
In Praise of Evolvable Systems Posted: Jun 27, 2005 7:23 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Assaph Mehr.
Original Post: In Praise of Evolvable Systems
Feed Title: Open Mouth, Insert Foot (Echo Internationally)
Feed URL: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/AssaphMehr/rss
Feed Description: General geekness venting, mostly about Ruby and why Software Engineering != Computer Science, dammit!
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Assaph Mehr
Latest Posts From Open Mouth, Insert Foot (Echo Internationally)

Advertisement

Have just read Clay Shirky's In Praise of Evolvable Systems.
It's been around for almost 10 years, can't believe I've only just came across it. It's a must read, especially for anyone interested - like me - in design, architecture and open source issues.

While this article talks more about protocols, I believe it also applies to why open source and agile menthodolgies seem to grow so much lately. Low cost OS solutions, things that get released early and often, have the benefit of - while not getting things quite right - getting them more right faster than centrally designed projects. Be it languages, from the ivory tower of C# to the semi-open JSR of Java to the
open-but-directed Ruby and Python, or frameworks or tools - the benefits from the increased evolutionary forces on those projects is evident. The more open you are -> the more connected to your environment you become -> the more evolutionary forces are applied -> the faster you become better.

Read: In Praise of Evolvable Systems

Topic: YubNub Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Benchmarks at last

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use