The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Untitled

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Rudi Cilibrasi

Nickname: cilibrar

Rudi Cilibrasi is a longtime programmer and machine-learning researcher who loves Ruby
Untitled Posted: Jun 9, 2005 7:59 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Rudi Cilibrasi.
Original Post: Untitled
Feed Title: Esoteric Ruby Blog
Feed URL: http://cilibrar.com/~cilibrar/erblog.cgi/index.rss
Feed Description: A weblog made to explore some Ruby ideas in great detail and try to work out ideal solutions to real problems.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Rudi Cilibrasi
Latest Posts From Esoteric Ruby Blog

Advertisement

Ramifications of the World Intellectual Property Organization treaty

I'm not sure how many have noticed, but this year is very exciting not just for Ruby. And not just for rails. Things are taking off in all sorts of directions now that blogging seems to have tipped off a sort of digital renaissance of writing, interaction, and understanding across all types of boundaries. Now I am going to try something a bit new, and suggest that some of the cohesion we have developed over the years in the Ruby community may be put to good use.

It happens that politics are not always aligned with science, and sometimes the discrepancy can be severe. This fact is nowhere more obvious to me than my own personal experience trying to cure a potentially fatal degenerative liver condition that I have suffered my entire life. It is called hepatitis C, and it kills many more people in USA and Japan than AIDS does. For several reasons, research regarding this disease has been drastically underfunded, to the tune of about 100 times less money per death than HIV. Unfortunately, due to the nature of hepatitis C (HCV), it often goes undiagnosed for decades before causing serious liver problems, loss of ability to work, and death. Another problem is the lack of political capital in the affected groups, primarily prisoners and injection drug users in the United States. As these groups have essentially zero political power at this moment in time, they have been given essentially zero funding over the course of the last 15 years as this disease has come out into the public eye. In practical terms, this matters to me because I received HCV from a tainted blood transfusion at birth and my liver has been slowly degrading all my life. I can tell that in not many more years I will be unable to work without medical advances. Which is why I am asking any of you now who might be touched by this story to look a little further and consider adding to the discussion I have already started on the following petition for more funding
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/signatures/703119152?page=1

Don't get too hung up on the bad spelling etc on the petition. I didn't make it. I think we need many concurrent efforts to really drive this home. The reason I post this to the Ruby blog is because I understand that Japan also shares with USA a unique problem with HCV, and indeed Japan has been a leading HCV research center worldwide. Some communities in Japan have HCV rates in excess of 20%. I expect that there are more than a few people across the ocean in the Ruby community that have been touched in some way by HCV, that may have something to say about this, and may even be moved by my story. If this could be you please consider adding to the commentary at
http://www.wipo.int/roller/comments/ipisforum/Weblog/theme_seven_how_is_intellectual
where I sketch out a personalized (real-life) story of how intellectual property law affected my life, and what I think needs to be done to fix it. Finally, for the value proposition, I submit my work in progress at
http://complearn.org/
which is a handy C library for data mining that also has a Ruby binding. So even in purely economic terms, perhaps it makes sense to fund HCV research a bit more. If you think this issue deserves more attention, or you just want me to continue to be a productive member of the Ruby community for years to come, then please consider signing the petition above, adding to comments at the WIPO forum, or reposting this or similar information anywhere you can think of to improve visibility to get this desperately needed funding. I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate it if you guys manage to get some real money allocated on this issue from any source. But I will be able to show you, over time. To a better tomorrow, Rudi

Read: Untitled

Topic: Dan Sugalski Flies Away To a Place Where Parrot Cannot Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I see red... everywhere!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use