The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
The Pathname Debate

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
The Pathname Debate Posted: May 1, 2005 11:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: The Pathname Debate
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
The Rake bug I recently discovered, and the source of that bug, reminded me of a side project I've been working on. Namely, a complete replacement for the Pathname library.

The current implementation has a few problems (which I've brought up previously on ruby-core). First, and foremost, it doesn't work on Win32 systems. That's bad, especially considering how long it has been included in the standard lib. It should have been refactored by now. The second major problem, in my opinion, is that this library can't decide if a pathname refers to an existant path or only a virtual string. From the docs:

"It does not represent the file itself."

I agree. The problem is that the author then goes on to use the facade pattern for the File and FileTest classes. Think about it. Does it make sense to have a Pathname.exists? or Pathname.size method supported when the file does not exist? It's just a string. A representation of a filename. IT DOES NOT REFER TO AN ACTUAL FILE ON THE FILESYSTEM. We've just established that it does represent an actual file.

So stop mixing in methods that require that the file actually exists to work.

Let me reiterate that a pathname is a string. Don't agree? Say this out loud: "A pathname is-a String". True? You bet it is. Should a facade pattern be used? No. It doesn't make sense. Sorry Matz, but I just think you're dead wrong on this one.

With that in mind, I've started my own rewrite of the Pathname class. The most significant design decision I made was to subclass String (which mixes in Enumerable to boot). This provides some immediate benefits in that I suddenly don't need to manually define methods like freeze, taint, untaint, ==, ===, eql?, hash, inspect, and to_s. After that, it was a matter of dealing with path separator issues and refactoring. I rely far less on regular expressions, preferring a split/join approach wherever possible instead.

One issue I will probably still have to deal with is that most folks seem to like the fact that the current Pathname classes tosses in so many File and Dir related methods because they're very convenient. Do I sacrifice purity for convenience even if it seems utterly illogical? I'll think about it.

In any case, I'm eventually going to release this to the public a *replacement* for the current Pathname class, and I'm not going to be very apologetic about it either. If you don't like it, tough.

Read: The Pathname Debate

Topic: Any? and All? for MySQL Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ishii-san died

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use