The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Hyderabad

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Premshree Pillai

Nickname: premshree

Premshree Pillai is a Ruby evangelist, working with Yahoo!.
Hyderabad Posted: May 1, 2005 9:29 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Premshree Pillai.
Original Post: Hyderabad
Feed Title: Premshree's Personal Weblog
Feed URL: http://premshree.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: Premshree's Weblog
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Premshree Pillai
Latest Posts From Premshree's Personal Weblog

Advertisement

I wish I could spend more time in Hyderabad. In the little time that I was there, I had an incredible time.

Ruby at ILUG-Hyd »

It was really cool to meet a bunch of enthusiastic folks at the ILUG meet. Don’t know the exact number, but there were good number of folks. Among them, there were couple of folks—Gavri, and Nagesh—who were into Ruby already, so the interaction was really good.

My plan was to use the slides and at the same time demo interactively using irb. My laptop didn’t like the projector, for some reason, so we decided to go ahead with the presentation and later do stuff on irb. However, once we approached OO, I just had to do it interactively: all of Ruby’s ultra-coolness—extending classes, singleton methods, getters/setters, later followed by distributed Ruby (drb)—lies here.

As far as Rails was concerned, it’s only fair to write an application there and then. We wrote a simple, single-user blog application in about eight minutes (explanation took a part of the time)—with some scaffold magic, of course. Some of the folks pointed out to me Rails’ similarity to WebObjects. Maybe. But two things: it’s not free, it’s not open-source.

If any of you LUG guys are reading this, your feedback would be highly appreciated.

Folks at Hyderabad »

Saturday night, after the LUG meet, we—[info]appaji, [info]mansu, Gavri, and myself—had dinner at this place called Malgudi. We had biryani, appams, some chicken curry, and ended with some Hyderabad special desserts. By the time we left, it was pretty late, which meant no pubbing. Gavri and I were kinda desperate to have some beer, so we went to this kinda shady place called Silver Plate. Had beer. And tandoori chicken. We left at 3:00 AM or something. Gavri had a copy of From Journeyman to Master, which he was eager for someone to read. I was too lazy to go to his place late in the night. And now I regret.

I wanted to do touristy things Sunday morning—visit Charminar, Salarjung museum, etc. So I ventured out after breakfast, and what do you know, it was burning hot! I came back to my hotel room, and slept. It was really hot outside, but mercifully, it wasn’t humid at all. Now I know what hot (without the humidity) feels like. Hot.

Sunday evening, we were to meet at Barista. [info]nash_da_basher has a terribly detailed account.

Hyderabad is big. It has a night life. It has awesome LJers. Thank you, Nash. Thank you, Suman. Thank you, Sumeet. Thank you, guys!

Read: Hyderabad

Topic: Ishii-san died Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Single line

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use