The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
DHH discusses why designers are excited about Rails

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Robby Russell

Nickname: matchboy

Robby Russell is the Founder & Executive Director PLANET ARGON, a Ruby on Rails development firm
DHH discusses why designers are excited about Rails Posted: May 1, 2005 9:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Robby Russell.
Original Post: DHH discusses why designers are excited about Rails
Feed Title: Robby on Rails
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/rss/feed.xml
Feed Description: My reflections on programming with Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL... and learning how to run a business...
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Robby Russell
Latest Posts From Robby on Rails

Advertisement
David posted a short entry on his blog about how he feels that, "Rails is the middle ground for a lot of interesting interactions between designers and programmers."

He also wrote, "Working on the same code base and sharing the same tools is an empowering environment that unifies the team and breaks down barriers between professions. It's in that mold where magic happens."

I commented on his entry about this and was thinking a bit more about this. I am curious, how many developers out there who work with a designer, utilize the same tools to complete their project? At PLANET ARGON, the designer (Allison) and the main developer (me) work on projects with the same tools. She has quickly grown to appreciate KDevelop for all her html/css development. We both utilize CVS and Subversion (depending on if it's an older app that we worked on or not). The first time she started to use this was at the initial stages of working on pgCart, our PHP/PostgreSQL shopping cart application. She came on board a few months into the development and was able to produce a new admin interface layout in a few days. Ever since we both began using the same tools, we have been able to produce results much quicker (and Rails is definitely increasing our productivity even more...). As Smarty was one of the first templating engines that she began working with in this environment, the move to Rails has been a very low learning curve.

As a team, this makes a lot of sense to working on the same project at the same time.

So, I am curious and have a question for all of you development/designer teams. Do you utilize the same tools during the lifespan of your projects? Does your designer utilize version control?

Read: DHH discusses why designers are excited about Rails

Topic: Single line "if" clauses Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Simpler Tab Navigation on Amazon.com

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use