The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Would the last 3 peple please download Pimki?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Assaph Mehr

Nickname: assaph

Assaph is a Sr Tech Designer, which just means that he draws diagrams by day and programs by night
Would the last 3 peple please download Pimki? Posted: Apr 26, 2005 7:22 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Assaph Mehr.
Original Post: Would the last 3 peple please download Pimki?
Feed Title: Open Mouth, Insert Foot (Echo Internationally)
Feed URL: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/AssaphMehr/rss
Feed Description: General geekness venting, mostly about Ruby and why Software Engineering != Computer Science, dammit!
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Assaph Mehr
Latest Posts From Open Mouth, Insert Foot (Echo Internationally)

Advertisement
At the time of this writing 997 people have downloaded Pimki. Would the next 3 people please download it, so I can celebrate 1,000 downloads already?

I have been working intensely on Pimki2 over the past few weeks. Since Alexey has released Instiki 0.10 - which is a more modern-rails-based-app than ever before - I have been struggling to keep up. Since Alexey has changed so much in the code, I basically need to re-implement all the features in the new environment, plus of course enough new bits to justify calling it 2.0.

I'm also taking the opportunity to do it right, by using TDD as much as I can. This is something I've always wanted to do. Pimki started as a hack on Instiki, so I really didn't bother with testing beyond eyeballing. But then, like always, more features crept in, I've introduced changes yada yada yada and got bitten. Not this time. as a thank you for all the users who write back with positive feedback, this time it won't be a hack, but a more properly controlled product.

So far I think TDD slows me down only a bit, mainly on the initial work (as I have to learn/re-learn Instiki and Rails anyway). But as soon as the need to refactor itches.... And I'm already benefiting from the increased problem domain insight and the verification that I do not break anything in the existing Instiki framework that I don't plan to.

One thing I'm not doing is religious TFD. For one because am I'm an atheist, but more importantly because I don't think think way. I am a software designer by trade. I am used to designing first and implementing later. But I am also a big believer in Evolutionary Design over MDA. Since I'm also the coder on this and there is no design to speak of (MVC and web systems are a solved design issue), I concentrate on the features. I treat my tests as the design verification for the individual features. But I cannot verify something I do not yet fully understand. And I can not fully understand something I have not constructed yet. So I use my  increased
understanding through test construction in my coding, but I also use my increased understanding through coding in the test construction - all leading nicely into tight iterations.

So what's next?

Pimki 1.7 will be released soon. It will have mainly bug fixes, plus a fixed export that includes all data needed to import into Pimki2. This is a must for upgrade, as the binary format (Madeleine snapshot) will not be compatible. I hope this will be the last release of the 1.x series.

Pimki2 I hope to release as beta soon. Hopefully there will be a beta section to RubyForge gems server, as I DON'T want people to have it automatically upgraded by accident (as the storage format is incompatible). I also do not want to create a new gem package for Pimki2 - that's just confusing.

What's new in Pimki 2?

It'll be the cutting edge - so sharp you'll poke your eye out.

I want to embed objects in the textile markup. Not just parsed as before, but true objects represented in text. This will allow me to use Ajax to have the todo-items checked on or off. There will be some other uses, like glossary and autolinking.

In addition to the enhanced existing featrues, new text based features (page templates, snippets, glossary) and extensive stylesheet tweakage, I am also thinking on some usability and eye candy stuff as well for easy authoring. Now if I could just find a pure-ruby HTML2PDF generator... :-)

Read: Would the last 3 peple please download Pimki?

Topic: Typo admin interface Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Kali Code for Dense Stellar Systems

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use