The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Weblogs new home

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tobias Luetke

Nickname: xal

Tobias Luetke is a contributor to the ruby on rails project
Weblogs new home Posted: Apr 11, 2005 4:47 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Tobias Luetke.
Original Post: Weblogs new home
Feed Title: too-biased
Feed URL: http://blog.leetsoft.com/xml/rss/
Feed Description: Read the announcement: CD Baby rewrite in Postgres and Ruby, Baby!CD Baby is going rails. This is huge! If you don’t know CD Baby, its a distribution site with over 80.000 musicians under contract and its one of the biggest digital distributors of audio to Apple iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, etc.  Read all about it here. What is even more exciting about it is that I’m on board for the rewrite and I had chance to talk to Derek on the phone directly for a consulting session which might have played its little part in the decision to go with rails. Come monday I’ll work together with him and other rails contributor Jeremy Kemper to help crunch those 90k lines of PHP in beautifully compact code for which Rails and Ruby are known. Here is a quote from Derek’s announcement on his weblog: Like a lost soul walkin’ the earth, lookin’ for spirituality, that stumbles upon the right church with the right people at the right time, I’ve found my niche with Ruby. Its little itty-bitty community attracts some brilliant “think different” types with a love for beautiful code that do this for love, not money.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Tobias Luetke
Latest Posts From too-biased

Advertisement

This weblog has been running from my home Linux box for the past week and I’m very happy with the current setup.

I had to relieve the snowdevil server of a few tasks and while I was thinking of a way to move my private web pages to my local network Jeremy Kemper mentioned that with a bit of DNS tricksery and the free service www.everydns.net you could map any DNS to a dynamic IP.

How is this done?

First you need to transfer your NS servers for the domain you want to use to everydns.net. They have a great track record of stability so this is probably a good idea anyways. Next, you register a sub DNS like dynamic.leetsoft.com with will be marked as dynamic so that they let you use their infrastructure to update the IP it points to with a simple HTTP call. After that you can set up CNAMES pointing to the dynamic address. Currently blog.leetsoft.com and home.leetsoft.com are hosted locally.

Luckily I have a good DSL line and disconnect at most once a month ( go canada ) to support a stunt like this.

Since I’m a ruby nut and couldn’t stand relying on a perl script to update my address after each reconnect I ported the IP update script to ruby which is also the main reason for this post. Simply integrating it into the ipup script of my router ensures that the DNS record is updated as soon as the machine connects.

Read: Weblogs new home

Topic: Using Gettext to translate your Rails application Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Old argument

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use