The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
A new job?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Vincent Foley

Nickname: gnuvince

Vincent Foley is a hobbyist Rubyist.
A new job? Posted: Apr 4, 2005 11:46 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Vincent Foley.
Original Post: A new job?
Feed Title: Vincent Foley-Bourgon
Feed URL: http://www.livejournal.com/~gnuvince/data/rss
Feed Description: Vincent Foley-Bourgon - LiveJournal.com
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Vincent Foley
Latest Posts From Vincent Foley-Bourgon

Advertisement
I'm confused. As you all probably know, my current job is doing tech work in elementary school, but I'm only replacing a woman who can't work ever since she hurt her shoulder. However, the uncertainty of whether I'll have a job in 8 weeks is getting annoying, since I cannot go and get an apartment. This week, I found a job opening at a company where a friend of mine works. The job is to do J2EE web programming (awful, but I could probably bear it in exchange of cash) and I'd like to try my hand at doing some coding work. And who knows, I might be able to introduce Ruby.

So I redid my resume (ain't it nice?) and I'm probably gonna send it to the HR department of that company. However, I would be very saddened to leave my current job. It's not the best job in the world, but it's pretty damn good: it's not too demanding, it's fun, I get to see many interesting people, the pay is reasonable and I can sometimes do some Ruby scripts.

The thing that I've thought the most about leaving my current job is a teacher I really like: Anne-Marie. She's a 1st grade teacher, and she's the best. She's a 31 year old married woman with a kid, and I don't know why, we really connect, we became really good friends really fast. I suspect that she is what I would miss the most about my job. The fun conversation, the jokes she plays on me, the scares I give her, etc. Last Friday, I went to her school even if it wasn't my scheduled day, I had a few jobs to do and she was there too. She came and asked me if I was really leaving in two weeks (because I had been told that the woman I'm replacing was to come back in April) as I told her the week before. When I said that I would probably be employed until the end of the year, her face brightened up, she seemed very happy.

I know you shouldn't stick with a job just because of the people, but I really think that I would miss her. And not just her, other teachers too, I've made many good friends, and I really like the kids, they're fun to be around, especially the younger ones.

So, what does a guy do? Stick with an uncertain job with lower pay because he's grown really attached to the people he works with? Or go for the new, more paying job? The latter would be the smart career move, but I'm not smart, and right now, I'm really confused.

Read: A new job?

Topic: Brian McCallister to be preset Rails at ApacheCon Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Rails 0.11.1: More Ajax, Verifications, SQL Server updated, loads of fixes

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use