The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Respect and Disappointment

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Curt Hibbs

Nickname: curthibbs

Curt Hibbs is Senior Software Engineer for The Boeing Company
Respect and Disappointment Posted: Mar 30, 2005 10:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Curt Hibbs.
Original Post: Respect and Disappointment
Feed Title: Curt's Comments
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/rss/feed.xml
Feed Description: Nothing fancy... just a place to say stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Curt Hibbs
Latest Posts From Curt's Comments

Advertisement
After being repeatedly prodded  by my colleagues to start a blog, I started to do so about a week ago... but I didn't tell anyone about it. I wanted to try it privately for a while. I'm using Bloglines at the moment, but I may switch because I can't find any way to let readers post comments.

The reason I am going public with my blog is because I feel compelled to respond to David Heinemeier Hansson's latest blog post, The State of the Mac. I would have preferred to post a comment on his blog, but he is no longer allowing comments.

In this post David is pretty heavy-handed and judgmental, implying that developer's who choose platforms other than the Mac (but especially if they use Windows)  have an automatic black mark against them that they will have to overcome if they want to work for "rising star" companies like 37signals.

Now let me say that I have tremendous respect for David and what he has accomplished with  Ruby on Rails, both from a technical and evangelical standpoint... its nothing short of amazing! But, I personally find the position taken in this blog post and David's subsequent comments to the blog post to be so arrogant that I have to believe that it was unintentional. I wait anxiously for some public comment that will support this belief.

The bottom line is that what we as developers use for our development platforms and tools is a very personal choice, born from our unique personal and professional circumstances. I would never presume that what is the right choice for me, has to be the right choice for you, too.

Some developer's are single with high paying jobs, others have families struggling to make ends meet with more than one kid in college. Some developer's like to build their own machines, others may abhor the thought of fixing their own hardware. Some people like developing software 100+ hours a week (usually the ones without families), while others have multiple passionate interests.

The above examples barely scratch the surface of the influences on a developer's choice of development platforms. These are personal choices and personal circumstances... they are neither good nor bad.

Read: Respect and Disappointment

Topic: PragDave wants to have my lovechild! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Rake 0.5.0 Released

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use