The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
A Little Ruby, a Lot of Objects

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 23, 2004 11:46 PM by rubyfan

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
James Britt

Nickname: jamesbritt

James Britt is a principal in 30 Second Rule, and runs ruby-doc.org and rubyxml.com
A Little Ruby, a Lot of Objects Posted: Jan 23, 2004 8:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by James Britt.
Original Post: A Little Ruby, a Lot of Objects
Feed Title: ruby-doc
Feed URL: http://www.ruby-doc.org/index.rb/rss0.91.xml
Feed Description: New and updates for the Ruby Documentation Project web site.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by James Britt
Latest Posts From ruby-doc

Advertisement

Brian Marick has begun a Ruby/programming tutorial titled A Little Ruby, a Lot of Objects.

Brian write, "It's in the style of Friedman and Felleisen's wonderful The Little Lisper (now called The Little Schemer), but on a different topic."

Welcome to my little book. In it, my goal is to teach you a way to think about computation, to show you how far you can take a simple idea: that all computation consists of sending messages to objects. Object-oriented programming is no longer unusual, but taking it to the extreme - making everything an object - is still supported by only a few programming languages.

Can I justify this book in practical terms? Will reading it make you a better programmer, even if you never use "call with current continuation" or indulge in "metaclass hackery"? I think it might, but perhaps only if you're the sort of person who would read this sort of book even if it had no practical value.

The real reason for reading this book is that the ideas in it are neat. There's an intellectual heritage here, a history of people building idea upon idea. It's an academic heritage, but not in the fussy sense. It's more a joyous heritage of tinkerers, of people buttonholing their friends and saying, "You know, if I take that and think about it like this, look what I can do!"

Read: A Little Ruby, a Lot of Objects

rubyfan

Nickname: rubyfan

Re: A Little Ruby, a Lot of Objects Posted: Jan 23, 2004 11:46 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Actually, Brian Marick did this a couple of years ago. He got about three chapters done. I hope he decides to write more chapters since what he has written already is great

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: RubConf.new(2003) (Saturday) Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: On Programming Idioms

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use