The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Theft Is Non-Commutative

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ben Last

Nickname: benlast

Ben Last is no longer using Python.
Theft Is Non-Commutative Posted: Jun 30, 2004 5:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ben Last.
Original Post: Theft Is Non-Commutative
Feed Title: The Law Of Unintended Consequences
Feed URL: http://benlast.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: The Law Of Unintended Consequences
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ben Last
Latest Posts From The Law Of Unintended Consequences

Advertisement
Apparently, Apple have stolen at least one idea in their new OS.  Stolen is a harsh word, but it's a perfectly good interpretation of the term "plundered".  Yet; hang on a moment... I don't remember any accusations of theft being levelled at open source projects that take ideas from one platform and implement them on another, whether they call it "inspiration" or are as open and honest as the xmms people about their borrowing from Winamp.  So why is it a problem if Apple do it?

It'd be a misrepresentation of the worst kind to state that the open-source community is against intellectual property; hell, I'm an OSS advocate and I make my living from IP.  But there is, I think, a general agreement that patents and other forms of restriction should apply only to certain classes of IP; that patenting look-and-feel, for example, is a Bad Idea.  It's always seemed to me that redoing someone else's Cool Application (only doing it better, as one always tries to) is well within the bounds of acceptability.  Unless Apple do it.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Read: Theft Is Non-Commutative

Topic: Keeping up with patches Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: MoinMoin

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use