The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
A Hazelnut In Every Bite

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Ben Last

Nickname: benlast

Ben Last is no longer using Python.
A Hazelnut In Every Bite Posted: Jun 9, 2004 8:16 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Ben Last.
Original Post: A Hazelnut In Every Bite
Feed Title: The Law Of Unintended Consequences
Feed URL: http://benlast.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: The Law Of Unintended Consequences
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Ben Last
Latest Posts From The Law Of Unintended Consequences

Advertisement
For some reason I seem to be channeling British TV adverts of the past this morning... so far it's been "Topic" (hence the, erm, topic of this entry) and earlier it was Kia-Ora (which was, as you may recall, too orangey for crows).

Bob/entrepum pointed me at the Enthought Python distribution a while ago, and it's as Chock Full O' Nuts as anything I've seen in a long while. You gets yer basic Python plus wxWindows, PIL, VTK, etc, etc. A complete suite of packages all together, aimed (it seems to me) at those using Python in a data-analysis kinda way (otherwise, why the Fortran-Python interface generator). Being a loosely typed sort of person myself, I could live without Traits but in general it's a nice bundle.

I got an email from a friend asking for a couple of little utilities I'd mentioned to him, so I duly sent him the Python source. Then I had to point him at a distribution (he's a systems guy, not a programmer, so he doesn't install a language on his machines as step 3 after opening the box). Then I had to find him links to a couple of packages I'd used which weren't in the distro. And so on, and so forth. This happened right before I had the time to type Enthought into Google and find their site, which made me appreciate how rounded a collection they've put together. As soon as they get 2.3.4 in there, I'll probably replace ActiveState with it entirely. It's the package you can install between meals, without losing your appetite.

Read: A Hazelnut In Every Bite

Topic: Python Bug Day Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Take Off And Refactor The Script From Orbit

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use