The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Working in New Zealand as a software developer, part 2

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Phillip Pearson

Nickname: myelin

Phillip Pearson is a Python hacker from New Zealand
Working in New Zealand as a software developer, part 2 Posted: May 26, 2004 5:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Phillip Pearson.
Original Post: Working in New Zealand as a software developer, part 2
Feed Title: Second p0st
Feed URL: http://www.myelin.co.nz/post/rss.xml
Feed Description: Tech notes and web hackery from the guy that brought you bzero, Python Community Server, the Blogging Ecosystem and the Internet Topic Exchange
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Phillip Pearson
Latest Posts From Second p0st

Advertisement

[<-- back to part one]

Lots of questions yesterday! Rather than keeping on extending that post, I'll continue answering questions here.

Tremeur Balbous, the Frenchman mentioned in the previous post, asks:

1- How much does it cost for housing with a family (2 children) ?

The bigger the city, the bigger the cost. Auckland > Wellington > Christchurch > Dunedin. In Christchurch, about $200 per week will be enough to rent a 3 bedroom house. You can probably buy a similar house for $150,000 or so.

(NZ$1 = EUR 0.5 = US$0.60; here is some exchange rate data).

2- What are the working conditions (hours/week or /day, holidays...) ?

WorkSite has lots of information here, but most in jobs in New Zealand are for 8 hours/day, i.e. 40 hours/week. Some are 7.5 hours/day (9am-5pm, with 30 mins for lunch).

Salaried workers typically get 3 weeks (15 days) of holidays per year, plus statuatory holidays like Easter and Christmas, although it's common for software developers to get 4 weeks instead. Recent changes to the Holidays Act mean that everyone will get 4 weeks, but not until 2007, so you should try and negotiate 4 weeks of holidays into your contract when you get your job.

From what I've heard, it sounds like writing software in NZ is much less stressful than in the USA.

3- How much could I expect as a software engineer with 2 years of experiences ?

You'll need at least 3 years of experience to qualify for the "work to residence" or related immigration programmes. Straight out of university, programmers tend to start on somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000 per year, but after a few years you might be on more like $50,000.

4- My wife is a nursery nurse, could she expect find a job ?

Midwives and nurses are on the Priority Occupation List, so I'd say yes.

5- How does school work for children ? age for first year... 6- What is the system for babies (children garden, ...)

Kids go to kindergarten (we use the German word) from age 3-4, then primary school from 5-10, intermediate school (which is sometimes integrated with primary or high school, depending on the school) from 11-12, then high school from 13-17.

Woolly Mittens asks: Could you give us some pointers on how to find potential employers? Are there job agencies?

I see Seek.co.nz advertised all the time, so I'd check them out. A lot of the recent employees at my work have been hired through employment agencies who advertise on the web.

Peter Conrad asks: Did the top really fall off Mt. Aorangi?

Yes :-)

Comment

Read: Working in New Zealand as a software developer, part 2

Topic: Eclipse 3.0 M9 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pure Gold

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use